Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

redoing speaker help

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 12:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default redoing speaker help

Hey I want to replace all my speakers in my trans am 10 speaker system, but what will the best or smart way to wire all this without using the factory amplifier anymore? Could I buy one 4 channel amp and run the two front and two rear, but then what do I do with the component speakers in the back seat? Like I know to hook the front to channel 1 &2 then rear 3 & 4 but then could I hook say the component speakers to channel 1 & 2, but then the front channels will have 2 ohm load whereas the rear will be still 4 ohm.

Thanks for any help
Old 10-24-2005, 01:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

I would get a 4 channel amp and by pass the factory "amp" all together. Then replace the speakers with component sets, co-axial, or tri-axles. You may want to use this opportunity to get an aftermarket head unit as well.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:35 AM
12 Second Club

you could run crossovers, and set the speakers up in a component setup so that the backseat speakers play the lows and the rear speakers play the highs. basically an aftermarket version of the stock arrangement.

i didnt want to go through the trouble, so i disconnected the rear speakers and ran coax speakers in the front and backseat locations off of my 4 channel amp. one day i'll switch to components, but i'm lazy and it sounds good as is. getting a new HU is definitely a reccomendation.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bubba24
Hey I want to replace all my speakers in my trans am 10 speaker system, but what will the best or smart way to wire all this without using the factory amplifier anymore? Could I buy one 4 channel amp and run the two front and two rear, but then what do I do with the component speakers in the back seat? Like I know to hook the front to channel 1 &2 then rear 3 & 4 but then could I hook say the component speakers to channel 1 & 2, but then the front channels will have 2 ohm load whereas the rear will be still 4 ohm.

Thanks for any help
I think what you're asking is if you can hook the "sail panel" mid's to the 1 & 2 channel of the amp. I see that you are already planning on using an aftermarket amp from your post so I'll bypass any input on that and stick right with your question.

I wouldn't hook them up to the front. Why, becouse if I were doing it with an aftermarket amp I'd hafe the fronts on a HPF (high pass filter) of atleast 125hz, maybe 80 hz depending on how good the componet set is (would block the frequencies below 125hz or 80hz) this would keep any componet set from distorting with the lower bass and keep things up front crystal clear, I'd have another (cheaper) componet set in the rear replacing the ones in the hatch area set up similarly with the gain on the amp slightly lower than the fronts to keep your "sound stage" up front but still have decent high for the folks in the back if anyone rides back there.

Then for the Sails there a couple options. get another 2 channel amp and run them stereo (unless you can find a 6 channel amp $$) or you can buy a 4 + 1 which gives you a mono out and send that to both mid/subs depending on what your putting in the sails. there are several sub options that "drop in" the 6.75 mounting area of the TA (right at 6" from mount hole to mount hole 5 7/8 to 6 1/8 hole to hole should mount up with little trouble)

with the 4 + 1 you will loose the stereo immaging for your bass signals but alot of folks only run a stealth box with a mono sub or some other single sub bass source so if you're not wanting to get a subwoofer and just use the sails for your bass this might be an option. you can glass in the area behind the sail and get an inclosure approx 7" x 11" x +/-3" and with some poly fill that should be big enough for a good 6" sub speaker such ar the 6W0 or audiobahn or one of the elemantal mid/subs. I would get the seperate 2 channel personally and then bridge off that amp to a single sub in the rear to fill out the bottom

Peace

Last edited by joe_kool315; 10-24-2005 at 08:04 AM.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:59 PM
12 Second Club

i'd say do whatevers cheaper, so far you got:

1. run crossovers so that the system runs on 4 channels, arranges the rear 4 speakers in a 2 channel component setup (since they are already like that in stock form)

2. run a seperate 2 channel amp on top of the 4 channel amp. i say if you are going to get a seperate amp for any speakers, get a mono sub amp for the two subs and run the rest off a 4 channel amp.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

alright great thanks for the help and yah joe_kool315 that's right I meant to hook the sailpanels along with the front speakers. but yah if I do it the other ways it will be simpler. like everyone said to run 2 amps or 6 channel either way. or also but dunni how it would work, hook the front speakers to the new HU, and then use one 4 channel for the back seat and rear. But most head units suck for power and put out only 25 watts rms at most. but using to two would work better probably

thanks
Old 10-24-2005, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bubba24
alright great thanks for the help and yah joe_kool315 that's right I meant to hook the sailpanels along with the front speakers. but yah if I do it the other ways it will be simpler. like everyone said to run 2 amps or 6 channel either way. or also but dunni how it would work, hook the front speakers to the new HU, and then use one 4 channel for the back seat and rear. But most head units suck for power and put out only 25 watts rms at most. but using to two would work better probably

thanks

"Some" head units will put out enough power to run a real efficent set of speakers pretty good then you could go with the single 4 channel amp running the hatch componets and sail pannel. but your probably going to be happer with 6 channels (either 1 4 and 1 2 channel amp or a single 6 channel amp) with built in high/low pass filtering to allow you to cut the lows out of your front and hatch and the highs out of the mid/subs in the sail pannel. Down the road you would also be able to bridge off the channel going to the sail speakers to a single sub to really fill in the low bass providing you get a decent 1 or 2 ohm stable amp
Old 10-24-2005, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

alright that was what I was thinking of doing now. but one question if I do put speakers for high in the front and back, and lows in the sail panels, and say later on I get subs for rear hatch where the t-tops go will I even be able to hear the speakers in the rear? I looked at the monsoon faq and it said if u are going to get subs just get compnents for the front and coxials for the sail panels and remove the rear speakers, and put subs in the far back. So what I figured out is

1 either get 2 amps 1 2 and 1 4 channel and run 6" subs in the sail panels, components in the front and rear OR

2 put components in the front some 2 or 3 way in the sail panels , and put subs in the back hatch.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:04 PM
12 Second Club

i noticed a difference when i was running the hatch speakers with my system, but since they were unamplified and i didnt feel like bothering with them, they would clip far before the rest of the system even got turned up. i have coax speakers in the front, coax speakers in the sail panels (pioneer 4-ways), and i just have the two 12s in the back, i figured no need for midbass subs. if you dont run subs and put coax speakers in the sail panels you will notice you have lost a tremendous amount of low-end. i dont know anybody who runs small subs in the hatch speaker locations if thats what you mean.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

alright if I go with alpine speakers i can get a component set for the front and back. But I plan on getting at least one sub with a stealthbox. Now if I do that is there any point in putting anything in the sailpanels for bass? But for now if I just do the componets there may be a loss of lower bass till get the sub.