Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

VERY strange electrical issues, need help before everything goes

Old 10-25-2005, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default VERY strange electrical issues, need help before everything goes

So the other day my left blinker stopped working (gauge arrow display lit but didn't blink). I walked around the car and found that the driver side high level running lamp was out, but the low level was fine (aka when I turned the head lights all the way on). I decided I would eventually replace it when I had time this weekend as I don't drive all that often.

A day later, the entire light was out. A day after that, the passenger side running light went out and the blinker stopped working in the same way as the driver side.

Today, I noticed that the indicator light for my rear defogger would not light up when pressed, yet the defogger worked just fine. In addition the red LED on the driver side door at the door handle wasn't working, but the passenger side was.

I checked all fuses and nothing was burned out and everything was making a satisfactory connection. WTF is going on???

The only thing I can POSSIBLY think of that could cause an electrical problem was when I accidentally touched the positive battery terminal with a socket wrench over this past weekend while tightening something or other I was working on under the hood on the engine. However, this was after the driver side blinker ceased functioning.

The engine starts and runs perfectly with no problems under light, part, or full throttle. There is no noticable power loss.

I'm slowly but surely starting to lose everything in my electrical system it seems and I can't figure out why... HELP PLEASE
Old 10-26-2005, 07:19 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Are you experiencing an over-voltage condition? That will cause bulbs and LEDs to burn out.

Of course, it could all be coincidence. The burned out turn signal bulbs is what causes them to stop flashing - not enough current flowing through the flasher to make it break contact. You could be getting water in the front housings causing the the bulbs to burn out and corroding of the sockets (a common problem with our cars).

The door bulb may have just burned out - it's a #74 bulb. The defogger LED is harder to explain. They do go out sometimes but it is not a common event. In fact, I can't remember seeing one go out in many years. It is integral to the switch so the whole switch would have to be replaced unless you can find a replacement and you're good with a soldering iron.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Are you experiencing an over-voltage condition? That will cause bulbs and LEDs to burn out.

Of course, it could all be coincidence. The burned out turn signal bulbs is what causes them to stop flashing - not enough current flowing through the flasher to make it break contact. You could be getting water in the front housings causing the the bulbs to burn out and corroding of the sockets (a common problem with our cars).

The door bulb may have just burned out - it's a #74 bulb. The defogger LED is harder to explain. They do go out sometimes but it is not a common event. In fact, I can't remember seeing one go out in many years. It is integral to the switch so the whole switch would have to be replaced unless you can find a replacement and you're good with a soldering iron.
Thanks for the response. Things got even weirder today. I got in and, as if by magic, the defogger indicator light works again. The driver door LED is still out though, along with the running lamps and blinkers. I think you may have hit the nail on the head about the water/corrossion possibility though. We have had a TON of rain lately, around 12 of the last 15 or 16 days, and my fender well covers are worn away on the front from leaving them hanging there and driving around during turbo kit test drives making it especially easy for water to get on all of that. I'll take a look tomorrow if it's not 38* again...

Also, how do I know if I have an over-voltage condition? When I start the car, the volt meter goes to the "3/4" mark, the first hash mark higher than the middle.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:33 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Unless the gauge goes into the warning zone at the top, you're not experiencing an over voltage condition. Over voltage is a rare condition but I just mentioned it because it will cause bulbs to blow.

Search this Thread