Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Infinity Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 10:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Infinity Speakers

I'm pulling out my monsoon HU, and replacing it with a Premier P8MP HU... From all the searches I've done looking into what to do with the speakers in the doors I see that the Infinity line of speakers is one of the highly recommended speakers... So I'm just curious what specs I need to be looking at or which model number is used...

6.5" speaker for the doors, but from what I've found so far Infinity has about 8 different 6.5"er's....

Whats everybody using/recommend?

Thanks guys.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:12 PM
Launching!

I was talking to a service rep from Crutchfield and she told me that if I"m using the Premier P9MP to power the speakers I can only use the reference series, but if I use an amp then I can use the kappa or coponent series... I'd RATHER not add the price of an amp into the mix if I can get away with it... Any truth to what got said? Am I cornered into the Reference series using HU power?
Old 10-29-2005, 11:18 PM
12 Second Club

I'd stick with the lowest priced models if you are not using a seperate amp. I have some 6x8 Infinity's in my other car and they sound great running off a Sony mp3/cd 52x4 HU. I wouldn't say the bass is increased, but they have great highs and the tweeter swivels to point where you want, the model is a reference CF series. I looked on ebay and they were the cheapest Infinity 6x8's out($44 a set), so I'd say the cheapest should do in the 6.5. They handle the power perfect off a aftermarket stereo.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:36 PM
Launching!

TTT
Somebody must have experience with infinity's in there Fbody
Old 10-30-2005, 10:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

i ahve 4 Infinity Kappa series 62.5i speakers there all 6 1/2 speakers and i got them running off a californie 4 channel 1000 watt amp, look on thezeb.com they have good prices i got my amp from there ad speakers off ebay
Old 10-30-2005, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

my fronts are kappa 62.7I which are running of a sony xplode amp, they sound damn good i must say.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out the sticky's. If you are going to keep the factory head unit and amp setup... then the best choice for Camaro guys are very arguably Apline SP170A's. They are easily re-wired to allow the factory bi-amp arrangement to be kept. You can also buy them on the net for about $60.

Otherwise I wouldn't buy a set of speakers unless you can look them over. You need to be able to wire up to the tweeter and woofer separately.

All this goes out the door if you are doing a full install with a new amp driving the door speakers. Then you can do whatever.

But it is silly, just silly, to drive $200 speakers off the factory h/u and amp. If you are just looking for a nice boost in the mids and highs then you will like the Apline upgrade. You also don't want a set of "tank" 6.5's in those doors because it will rattle everything in said door loose.

Get your mids and highs strong and put the bass in somewhere else.

Rewired Aplines ($60 at etronics) + a small 6.5 or 8" bazooka tube tapped off of the back speakers (before the monsoon amp, $100) will make a factory Monsoon setup extremely livable if you like your money and to keep a stock appearance.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Man if I were you I would save up that exrta bit of money and get a amp. Or just go ahead and buy the Kappa's or Kappa Perfect and then save for the amp. The is no reason you cannot put those on a aftermarket headunit. Yes you might not be pushing them to there limits. But it's going to sound damn good. I'm a infinity man myself. The only reason I don't have them in my Camaro. Is just because I want to spend the money elsewhere. Now my S-10 I had before. I had a Pioneer 45/4 head unit with a 12 disc in the rear. Had Infinity Kappa Perfect 1in tweeter's right at the top of the door panels. They were the NEO Glass. (Where they had the littlehigh powered Neodium Magnet with a glass dome. Not paper or ceramic. Had infinity Kappa 3 way door speaker's (sorry don't remember the part # it's been about 2 1/2 years) and for a Sub. I had 1 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12in Dual Voice Coil Sub. Each coil would handle 400rms watt's. but I only had 180rms per voice coil and it sounded damn good. The Reference line are good speaker's but If it were me I would at least get the Kappa's. Take a look at the actual physical difference in the two. The Kappa's are just made better. If you like clean, refined music I would highly recommend the Infinity line. But if you want just a boom box that all you hear is bass and your hatch rattling then I would get something else.

here's some pics of my home theater system just to show you how much of a Infinity fan I am

got 4 of these for 7.1 channel surround
Old 10-31-2005, 11:39 AM
Launching!

I'm NOT keeping the factory HU... Its being replaced with a Premier HU (P8MP) I'm looking for speaker info of course and whether or not I can get away using the monsoon amp or if I need to scrap the whole system and just do it right with one shot one kill.

Actually the highs and mids are EXACTLY what I'm looking for, and yes I would rather have a refined sound than just a car going boom boom boom rattle rattle rattle...

I've already got the bass taken care of. I have an MTX stealth box with a JL audio 10W3v2 being pushed by a 2 channel 1000-Watt Kenwood Amp(Overkill on the Amp I know, but I got a good deal on it) The sub right now is over powering my monsoon system I have VERY LITTLE sound coming from the front it's all coming from the rear of the car right now...

If the HU is'nt quite enough to power the better infinity speakers then...
Should I look into bridging the amp and running it to the door speakers? Or do I need to just get another amp to power up the 8 speakers and leave the Sub Amp?

The HU I'm looking at has some pretty decent specs (I think)
Premier P8MP
Built-in Speaker Power MOSFET 60W x 4
Old 10-31-2005, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

O.k man. You are going to need to get rid of the Monsoon amp. Because it is Eq'd to the Monsoon Speaker's. I know on some cars they make an amp delete harness. I'm not for sure about the Monsoon system. But yes you will need to delete the amp. Your going to have a kickass system
Old 10-31-2005, 03:04 PM
Launching!

Deleting the Monsoon Amp? At the moment I'm only planning on pulling out the factory door 6.5"'s and tweeters and replacing the door speakers with Infinity Speakers. (I have'nt done any kind of search on tweeters yet) but I was going to leave the four rear factory speakers and just have the bose amp push them....will that not work

Is that doable?
Old 10-31-2005, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah that will work. But them Monsson amp is eq'd to the factory speaker's. So I don't know how good it is going to sound.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by skewba98z28
Yeah that will work. But them Monsson amp is eq'd to the factory speaker's. So I don't know how good it is going to sound.

New premier HU powering new door infinity/tweeter speakers...
Monoon amp powering 4 rear stock speakers...

That would be my setup for now... Are you saying the monsoon amp would be messed up because it would only be powering the 4 speakers when it's use to powering 6?