Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Car almost caught on fire...

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 12:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car almost caught on fire...

So my bottle heater switch kept blowing fuses...people told me to wire it directly to the battery. Wired it directly to the battery, reconnected everything, then I hear "TSSSSS", kinda like my purge, so I figure my purge button was being pressed since the knee panel was leaning against the seat.

....Then I see smoke coming out from inside my car. I jumped into the car, saw that all my N2O wires were on fire, so I grabbed them with my bare hand and ripped them out. My middle finger looks like beef jerky.

Now the thing is, the wire that I just ran directly to the battery is NOT burned...all the others are. I'm afraid to even reconnect my battery, let alone work up the motivation to re-wire everything

*upon further inspection, it's the wire that goes from the heater switch accy position, back to the bottle heater relay.
-What would cause THIS wire to burn, and
-What would make it keep blowing fuses?
Old 11-12-2005, 07:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It should be obvious you have a short somewhere. Better double check how you have it wired in and make sure the switch is good.

Whoever told you to bypass the fuse and go directly to the battery was an idiot. Blowing fuses should tell you you're drawing more current than you're supposed to.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

yea it looks like the switched wasn't wired properly and i would definitly fuse those wires if your hooking directly up to the battery, fuse them within 10 inches of the battery so that doesn't happen again.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Looks like you have a short.
Are those the right size wires?
If that was me I would replace ALL of those wires with the correct size awg.