Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Stealth box

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 01:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stealth box

Just wondering what the pros and cons were for a mdf vs. fiberglass box. I want to do a double setup with a stealth type box on each side, but the only place I can find that makes a passenger side is subthump. Will I be losing any sound quality with a wood box over a fiberglass? Does anyone else make fiberglass passenger side 10" enclosures?

Thanks for any help.
Old 11-12-2005, 01:46 PM
Launching!

You will have to have it custom built... that's what I did.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Fiberglass is ALOT lighter then MDF.
To get that stealth setup, since its not a square hole, it really makes sence to go with a fiberglass box.

Good luck and post pics when your done
Old 11-13-2005, 09:23 PM
TECH Junkie

subthump is the only place that has them, and they probably won't keep making them. I don't like the idea of having 2 subs facing each other as they will push aginst each other. I would just put one good sub in and call it a day. put the some money on making the car faster, because as you do you will start to like speed more than sound.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:41 PM
Staging Lane

I've seen several setups with two subs in the back, and I never realized it would be a problem. I already realized that having not facing the hatch would decrease some of the sound quality, but will be bad to put two in the back facing each other from a SQ point of view?
Old 11-15-2005, 09:08 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jsturdivant
I've seen several setups with two subs in the back, and I never realized it would be a problem. I already realized that having not facing the hatch would decrease some of the sound quality, but will be bad to put two in the back facing each other from a SQ point of view?
Having a stealth on either side of the car does not affect or decrease or cancel out the bass whatsoever or degrade the SQ. Anyone who says that is does has no actual experience and should not be voicing an opinion. I've heard it and it's noticebly louder than a single sub setup. If you want to hear it from someone who has this type of setup, just ask him White Rascal

As for mdf vs. fiberglass there isn't a lot of sound difference. A well built mdf box can sound just as good as a fiberlgass box. The main advantage is that fiberglass can conform to the complicated shape of the car better which results in more air space, but typically costs more due to the time and materials. Subthump stealthboxes only weight 7 to 9 lbs each which is comparable in weight to any of the plastic and fiberglass boxes currently available.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by black01_WS6
subthump is the only place that has them, and they probably won't keep making them. I don't like the idea of having 2 subs facing each other as they will push aginst each other. I would just put one good sub in and call it a day. put the some money on making the car faster, because as you do you will start to like speed more than sound.
speaking in terms of physics that would be true but since subwoofers dont neccessarily (too early in the morning to spell that) fire forward, that isnt always the case. good logic though. i tried something similar on my friend's galant where i aimed the 2 subs at an exact 45 degree angle hoping they would double in volume as i learned in physics. the volume decreased and then i learned they were rear firing subs of some sort. i hope that helps.

also- i have bought two boxes from subthump in the 3 years i have owned my car. they are awesome but he doesnt like responding to my emails when i have a question i'm going fiberglass soon solely based on that my sub is too big for his stealthbox.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have subthump's stealth box on my driver's side with a Boston G2 104 in it. Sounds great, and hits pretty hard too. The box is a high quality piece too(much higher quality than the boxes you buy at Best Buy, Circuit City, etc)
Old 11-15-2005, 11:40 AM
Staging Lane

you wont notice any difference in SQ between using MDF and FG. FG will be much lighter and will give you the ability to have a larger box thought since you can form it around the body of the car.