Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

CarPC people

Old 11-15-2005, 07:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CarPC people

General question that I hope doesnt come off sounding dumb but, how do you hook up a hu reciever and the car speakers to a mother board? Ive always wondered about this. orrr does the CarPC act as an aux unit to the hu and everything plays off of the hu? or do you guys even have a hu?
Old 11-15-2005, 08:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try www.mp3car.com this place will answer all your questions!!

-Travis
Old 11-15-2005, 08:56 PM
TECH Addict

you will not need a hu in a car pc set up.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well you can do it one of two ways. you can keep your head unit and have the CarPC input to the aux like you said. or you can have the PC output to amps which will power the speakers. I plan on doing the latter because i dont want a head unit anymore
Old 11-16-2005, 08:32 AM
TECH Resident

ohh ok thanks guys. And Luna, I totally forgot that you could hook up RCAs to some sound cards (Im on an Mac mini and haven't putzed with a computer in years)
Old 11-16-2005, 04:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

even those without RCA outputs you can just use the mini jack and get an adapter from radio shack , I have been doing that from my computers to my stereo for years (although sometimes you get a ground loop buzz)
Old 11-16-2005, 09:36 PM
TECH Resident

I don't really need a head unit anymore because:
1- I don't use CD's (I upload MP3's from my home computer to the 250Gb drive in the car using a thumb drive.
2- Don't need FM radio (Hated the 80% commercials-20% music, and have XM now)
3- Most all integrated sound on newer motherboards is quite good, If you're really picky about sound quality, get an Audigy PCI sound card.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:56 PM
TECH Resident

I honestly considered doing this 100% until I found out you have to relocate the HVAC to the glovebox I'm adjusting that thing every 30 feet, im finicky. Ive been sitting here thinking where else to move it to, but its terribly limited...
Old 11-16-2005, 10:23 PM
Staging Lane

put the HVAC in the center console... thats where i plan to put it when I do my PC.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:14 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by kraaazymike
I honestly considered doing this 100% until I found out you have to relocate the HVAC to the glovebox I'm adjusting that thing every 30 feet, im finicky. Ive been sitting here thinking where else to move it to, but its terribly limited...
You only have to relocate them if you are using an 8" screen. use a 7" and it will barely fit without re-locating the controls.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:41 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Snootch
You only have to relocate them if you are using an 8" screen. use a 7" and it will barely fit without re-locating the controls.
really? thats very interesting news to me wait a minute, if you refer to my other thread about satellite recievers (here) we talk about shutting down computers. would you have to shut down the computer manually before turning off the car or does it not matter?
Old 11-17-2005, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

You really should go look at the FAQ on mp3car.com. It addresses every question you've asked so far, as well as a bunch that you haven't thought of yet.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by kraaazymike
really? thats very interesting news to me wait a minute, if you refer to my other thread about satellite recievers (here) we talk about shutting down computers. would you have to shut down the computer manually before turning off the car or does it not matter?
Two companies, Mini-box.com and Opus Solutions, sell 12vdc ATX computer power supplies with intelligent shut-down controllers. I use a M1-ATX from mini-box. It cost me about $80. I suggest you check out the forums over at MP3car.com. I lurked there for about six months before posting a little, then built my system. Any question you have has probably been asked before. Check it out.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:30 PM
TECH Resident

ok ok you guys talked me into it. I now have a new place to lurk around the internet while im at "work." You guys have been very helpful
Old 11-18-2005, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have been getting more and more interested in this idea by the day. I keep seeing threads on it and reading up. Now I have somewhere else to gain knowledge before I build my project. Thanks fellas
Old 08-12-2006, 02:02 PM
Staging Lane

My only question is how you hook the pc audio up directly to the monsoon amp (no headunit.)
Old 08-12-2006, 02:18 PM
TECH Addict

Does anyone sell a complete kit with EVERYTHING needed?
Old 08-12-2006, 07:23 PM
TECH Regular

scotty using the monsoon in a carpc isn't a very good option. could be done but i wouldn't recommend it.
honda I only heard of one company offering a complete set up but it was very very expensive. the guy's doing this set up are designing and building them themself. as suggested you should look at mp3 site.

I know most of you guys arn't using fm anymore but I was wondering have any of you guy's tried a fm tuner card yet in your system's. I'm building one right now that I'm adding a card into it just to see how it will turn out. didn't cost me much to add so it's not a lost to me if it doesn't work well.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dogger
scotty using the monsoon in a carpc isn't a very good option. could be done but i wouldn't recommend it.
honda I only heard of one company offering a complete set up but it was very very expensive. the guy's doing this set up are designing and building them themself. as suggested you should look at mp3 site.

I know most of you guys arn't using fm anymore but I was wondering have any of you guy's tried a fm tuner card yet in your system's. I'm building one right now that I'm adding a card into it just to see how it will turn out. didn't cost me much to add so it's not a lost to me if it doesn't work well.
I think someone over in the MP3car.com forums is building/selling a USB FM tuner solution. I think if I ever feel like having FM radio again, i'd do that. Since I have 21.6Gb of MP3's; if I listened to my collection non-stop, I think I wouldn't hear a repeat song for at least a week
Old 08-13-2006, 11:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Honda Hunter
Does anyone sell a complete kit with EVERYTHING needed?
The MP3car.com store sells pre-built systems. All you have to do is install software and set it up: http://store.mp3car.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=25

Search this Thread