Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

How to mount amp rack on rear wall

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 12:04 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to mount amp rack on rear wall

I finally got around to building an amp rack for the rear wall of my 2001 Trans Am. I think it turned out nice, and the carpet I got from the local shop matches great.

My question ... now that I've got my amp rack built, how do I mount it to the rear wall? My amp rack design is based on the pictures from SubThump. I've heard people say that they mount the rack to the tail light studs. I'm confused as to how this is done considering I can't get to the studs with the amp rack in place.

I considered some metal straps that would run behind everything and over to the outermost tail lamp studs on each side. The only time I would need to remove the rack is to change tail lamp bulbs, and I'll have to pull the sail panels anyway, so it wouldn't be any more work.

If someone has pictures of their mounting technique, I'm very interested in seeing them.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-16-2005, 08:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the only writeup I've seen so far and SubThump uses it as their poster child instructions site.

http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/133032/5
Old 11-16-2005, 11:08 PM
Staging Lane

I've seen that one before, and that's actually what I used to get the rough dimensions for my amp rack. I tweaked the numbers a little to make mine fit like a glove. It probably would be fine without any mounts, until I nail the brakes or something.

What I don't like about that mounting design is that from what I can tell, you mount blocks of pine to the tail light nuts. Then you simply screw through the amp rack into the pine blocks. Sure, that secures it, but it has screws showing and requires tools to remove it (mainly, a screwdriver).

I'm thinking about running some metal straps from the back of the amp rack, behind the carpet and to the outermost plastic nuts holding the tail lamps. That way if I have to remove the amp rack for some reason, I just pop the sail panels loose, and remove those outer plastic nuts.

Anyone else?
Old 11-17-2005, 11:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the idea of hiding the screws but how are you going to mount the metal straps to the rack?
Old 11-17-2005, 03:29 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the subthump rack getting ready to install, and saw their instructions, but it looks like way too much trouble to me. I'll be using sheet metal screws and just drilling into the shoulders. I don't mind a few holes here and there, especially if I can't see them. RTV fixes everything.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by HavATampa
I like the idea of hiding the screws but how are you going to mount the metal straps to the rack?
Mount the straps to the back side of the amp rack. Just screw 'em in and slap some liquid nails in there "just to be sure."

Liquid nails fixes everything!

Quick Reply: How to mount amp rack on rear wall