Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Stock Head Unit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 05:41 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Head Unit?

Well, I just bought a TA with a factory no cd head unit. Im not a fancy pants guy, I dont care about the sound quality as long as it is of decent quality. I want a stock head unit for my car. Does my car have all the hook ups that I need? Its a 96 six speed transam. How much can I get a stock head unit for?
Old 11-18-2005, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yah it does. You just need a factory CD player from a 93-97 Firebird, Formula, or Trans Am. It will swap right in, pull the plugs out of your radio, pop them in the new one. Should take all of 5 minutes.

Camaro's or other years would work but wouldn't look right, and might not drive the speakers quite right.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:08 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

You can use the head unit out of 98-02 Firebirds as well. Even Monsoon HUs will work (the HU is normal - all the "special" stuff is in the amp and speakers). They all have the same harness connections, etc. If you think you might want to add a changer then be sure to get one from 2000 or later (earlier CD head units didn't have changer controls).