Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Wiper washer + amp = dead car

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 11:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wiper washer + amp = dead car

Dumb luck. Bought new wiper washer, put it in trunk, and forgot about it for four days. Last night start up car after gassing up, hear a sudden loud pop from the trunk, and my car engine dies.

Checked back there and find the wiper washer container bone empty. Apparently the foil seal came right off along with the cap, and soaked through my enclosure where my Alpine V12 amp and CD changer are, and caused a short.

Interior lights, door windows work with ignition in RUN position, but engine won't turn over. Idiot lights go on & off, tach and speed needles run up and down then nothing. Got it towed to local GM dealership as I know nothing about car electrical systems.

Main question is, should I throw out my amp? Is there a way to check it without hooking it up to my car again? My initial thought is to turf it and not risk damaging my car again. This might be expensive, but I haven't heard word yet from the service guys.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:47 PM
TECH Junkie

u probably screwed up the battery, that would be what id check first. the fuses on the amp should of blown to prevent any real damage though
Old 11-27-2005, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let the amp dry out completely (100%) before you try it out. It might still work.

If you had your amp powered with a direct fused battery link, that fuse shoulda blown and everything shoulda been ok.

If there was no inline fuse then you might have a toasted battery, or maybe the battery just ran down.

Did the car make a "click click click" noise at all? Could be super lucky and just drained the battery enough to not turn over the starter. Actually from your description this is probably what happened.

Dealer tow though, ouch. Update with what they say.

tks
Old 11-28-2005, 03:08 PM
Teching In

Yes, it was just the battery drained, thank god. Replaced it, (it was the original battery so got good mileage out of it) and car runs fine.

I'm pretty sure I have a direct fuse link to the battery, so I'll check that out with the installer. Thanks for the advice.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:33 PM
TECH Junkie

there should be a fuse within one foot of the battery that is the proper size compared to the amp size