Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

programing keys

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 01:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default programing keys

need to get a set of keys and a remote for my 99.
I assume i will need to go to the dealer to have them program them with a tester correct?
Old 12-02-2005, 12:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As long as the new ignition key pellet resistance is the same all you should have to do is reprogram the remotes so they match, which you can do yourself.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

whats the procedure for programing remotes?
Old 12-03-2005, 10:58 AM
Staging Lane

Matching Transmitter(s) to Your Vehicle
Each remote keyless entry transmitter is coded to prevent another transmitter from unlocking your vehicle. If a transmitter is lost or stolen, a replacement can be purchased through your dealer. Remember to bring any remaining transmitters with you when you go to your dealer. When the dealer matches the replacement transmitter to your vehicle, any remaining transmitters must also be matched. Once your dealer has coded the new transmitter, the lost transmitter will not unlock your vehicle. Each vehicle can have a maximum of four transmitters matched to it. Have each transmitter you intend to match ready for the next steps. To match transmitters to your vehicle, do the following:

1. Turn the ignition key to RUN, then to OFF. This will disarm the content theft-deterrent/alarm system (if equipped).

2. Remove the RADIO fuse. This fuse is located in the main fuse block which is located on the left side of your instrument panel. See “Fuses and Circuit Breakers” in the Index.

3. Turn the ignition key from OFF to RUN three times quickly (within five seconds). The vehicle will respond by locking the doors, unlocking the driver’s door and releasing the hatch. Your transmitter is now ready to match the vehicle. Leave the ignition in RUN.

4. Press and hold the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the first transmitter for 15 seconds. The vehicle will respond as in Step 3.

5. Repeat Step 4 for the remaining transmitters.

6. When you have finished matching all of your transmitters, replace the RADIO fuse.

7. Check that all transmitters work by pressing the buttons. If the transmitters don’t work, or if you’d rather not match the transmitters yourself, see your dealer.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

In order to get another key for your car you must first know your vats number.
You can take your key up to the dealership (along with your vin, registration, insurance, licence..etc) and they will tell you which vats # you have.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks guys
Old 01-01-2006, 04:42 PM
Teching In

Default programing keys

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
In order to get another key for your car you must first know your vats number.
You can take your key up to the dealership (along with your vin, registration, insurance, licence..etc) and they will tell you which vats # you have.
Actually, this isn't entirely correct. I took my key to a locksmith and he was able to make a key for me. Her inserted my key in a red box about the size of a rubic's cube and it told him which code numbered key he needed to cut. Cost me $25.00.

The reason I bothered to comment on this is because I went the eBay route the first time. The guy's page said all you had to do was get a ohm meter, measure the resistence across the "pellet" in the key, match the value to his chart and he would send you the blank. It cost about $12.00 with shipping. Wal-mart cut it for me for free. When I tried it in the car, it turned, but my starter wouldn't do anything! Here I am 15 miles from home saying, "Oh, ****!" Tried the original key and same thing. While I was sitting there, I read the owners manual and it said if you use a key without the resistor or the wrong one, the alarm will arm for 3 minutes and then rest. I waited awhile and it started with my key. WHEW! (Wiping sweat off brow!) I took both keys to Radio Shack, had them read them and both were different! My key read 1870, his key read 980. I emailed back and forth with this jerk for a week before he finally agreed to let me ship the key back and he could read it himself. He told me the key he sent me DID read 1800! I ended up just telling him what he could do with the key AND his $12.00! That's when I went to a REAL locksmith! Moral of the story... It doesn't have to cost you a lot (eBay or dealership) IF you do it right the first time!

1stbird
Old 01-02-2006, 09:09 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
Matching Transmitter(s) to Your Vehicle
Each remote keyless entry transmitter is coded to prevent another transmitter from unlocking your vehicle. If a transmitter is lost or stolen, a replacement can be purchased through your dealer. Remember to bring any remaining transmitters with you when you go to your dealer. When the dealer matches the replacement transmitter to your vehicle, any remaining transmitters must also be matched. Once your dealer has coded the new transmitter, the lost transmitter will not unlock your vehicle. Each vehicle can have a maximum of four transmitters matched to it. Have each transmitter you intend to match ready for the next steps. To match transmitters to your vehicle, do the following:

1. Turn the ignition key to RUN, then to OFF. This will disarm the content theft-deterrent/alarm system (if equipped).

2. Remove the RADIO fuse. This fuse is located in the main fuse block which is located on the left side of your instrument panel. See “Fuses and Circuit Breakers” in the Index.

3. Turn the ignition key from OFF to RUN three times quickly (within five seconds). The vehicle will respond by locking the doors, unlocking the driver’s door and releasing the hatch. Your transmitter is now ready to match the vehicle. Leave the ignition in RUN.

4. Press and hold the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the first transmitter for 15 seconds. The vehicle will respond as in Step 3.

5. Repeat Step 4 for the remaining transmitters.

6. When you have finished matching all of your transmitters, replace the RADIO fuse.

7. Check that all transmitters work by pressing the buttons. If the transmitters don’t work, or if you’d rather not match the transmitters yourself, see your dealer.

i tried this and it did not work , i have an transmitter but its not set, step 4 is what dont work for me anything else i can try before i go to the dealership
Old 01-12-2006, 11:38 AM
12 Second Club

volcanic-i had the same problem as you, step four was my problem. today i gave up and went to the dealer. they said both of my key fobs were messed up, so i decided to order two from the dealer. the previous owner bought the key fobs he gave me with the car from ebay, and i dont want to waste more money on fobs that dont work. the key fobs were $80 each and i have to pay $30 tomorrow for them to code them to my car. im afraid that it still may not cure the problem and i might have a bad receiver. im kinda ticked at how much money this is going to cost me, but i really want to have remote entry.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:38 AM
12 Second Club

anyone know how much a new receiver is or how hard to install? i bet the dealer will charge an insane amount for the item and for installing it.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:18 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by tbick
volcanic-i had the same problem as you, step four was my problem. today i gave up and went to the dealer. they said both of my key fobs were messed up, so i decided to order two from the dealer. the previous owner bought the key fobs he gave me with the car from ebay, and i dont want to waste more money on fobs that dont work. the key fobs were $80 each and i have to pay $30 tomorrow for them to code them to my car. im afraid that it still may not cure the problem and i might have a bad receiver. im kinda ticked at how much money this is going to cost me, but i really want to have remote entry.
Try the programming procedure again with the new fobs before paying the dealer $30. They're only going to do the same thing as in the instructions posted above so why pay for what you can do yourself. Trust me, with the correct functional key fobs the procedure will work - done it many times on many different vehicles.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:32 PM
12 Second Club

got my key fobs programmed today. i got my car from the dealer and the key fobs were still in plastic and they gave me a paper that had the instructions to program it to my car. i had to pay $30 just for them to match the key fobs to my vats number? what a joke, the total came up to around $250 for getting new key fobs. $40 for them to find out that my existing key fobs were bad, $165 for two new key fobs, and $30 for somehow matching the key fobs to my car, even though the fobs were still in plastic and sealed. and i still had to program them to my car. i guess i should have just went to a car audio store and they could have done it for less.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1stbird
Actually, this isn't entirely correct. I took my key to a locksmith and he was able to make a key for me. Her inserted my key in a red box about the size of a rubic's cube and it told him which code numbered key he needed to cut. Cost me $25.00.

Whats not entirely correct? Thats exactly the way I made keys for both of my cars (with vats). The whole thing cost me around $20 (17 for key and 2 to make it) I didnt get charged for them to tell me my vats number either time for that I went to the dealer. I never said that was the only way, I just said thats one way to do it that I have personally done.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:45 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by tbick
got my key fobs programmed today. i got my car from the dealer and the key fobs were still in plastic and they gave me a paper that had the instructions to program it to my car. i had to pay $30 just for them to match the key fobs to my vats number? what a joke, the total came up to around $250 for getting new key fobs. $40 for them to find out that my existing key fobs were bad, $165 for two new key fobs, and $30 for somehow matching the key fobs to my car, even though the fobs were still in plastic and sealed. and i still had to program them to my car. i guess i should have just went to a car audio store and they could have done it for less.
You need to find a different dealer. You just got ripped off!!! There is absolutely no relationship between the keyless entry remotes and the VATS system. The VATS system is only for the resistor chips in the keys themselves. Replacing a remote just involves getting the right replacement and using the programming techniques in the owners manual (same as early post) to program it to your car. They charged you $30 for absolutely nothing! That's not a mistake - that's just plain dishonesty!
Old 01-16-2006, 09:46 PM
12 Second Club

thats what i thought too. when i saw that the remotes were unopened and the instructions to program them were in my car i was pissed. its probably the last time i go to that dealership for anything im not pleased with them at all.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:44 PM
On The Tree

Just read this and got it the first time took 20 sec to do it all.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

i got frustrated when i couldnt program mine, then i realized i was turning the key back to off instead of leaving it on run in step 3..... once i read it again i was like oops and then it worked when i did it right...so make sure its on run....as for the keys i brought it to the fleamarket and it cost me 20 bucks, he stuck it in a box to read the chip and ive had no problems....as for extra remots i got one off of ebay for 30 bucks (just make sure the numbers on the back are the same example 16245100-23) it wont work unless numbers are identicle
Old 05-25-2006, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just so you know the transmitter is only $37 from gmpd. So for 2 even with gmpd's high shipping sometimes, is still under hundred bucks.

GM PART # 16245100
CATEGORY: Keyless Entry Fobs & Batteries
PACK QTY: 1 CORE CHARGE: $0.00
GM LIST: $61.40
OUR PRICE: $36.40
DESCRIPTION: TRNMTR/LK
Old 02-15-2007, 11:53 PM
11 Second Club

good info

Quick Reply: programing keys