Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

How do do a MULTI-AMP setup?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 04:06 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation How do do a MULTI-AMP setup?!?

Alright well im pretty new at this car audo stuff.... but im stuck and i feel like an iddiot but i dont know where else to turn. I have 3 amps. (2) A6004T audiobahn and (1) Kicker KX550.2. I normally use a signal processor to connect all of my amps together(shown in picture the kec-600), but im sick of that thing and i just want to try and use the lineouts on the amps to connect my amps together. Is it possible to connect the amps's together by just using the lineouts? I dont understand how it works becasue i have 2 sets of inputs, and only 1 set of outputs? Can i use a Y splitter, and if i do then wont the rear and front ch's be all the same?

Im lost. Hahah How do you guys do a mulit amp setup?

Here is a diagram that i build when i had my JL's.... but i sold em, they where too expensive, and got shittier amps.... hahah

Thanks for the help guys!

Old 12-05-2005, 11:38 AM
TECH Addict

Depending on how many rca outs you have on the headunit, I have always ran pioneer and they have 3 rca outs.
Looking up the headunit model, you have 3 pair. Just plug the sub rca into the sub amp, and rear rca to the rear amp, and front rca to your front amp.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shouldaboughttheZ
Depending on how many rca outs you have on the headunit, I have always ran pioneer and they have 3 rca outs.
Looking up the headunit model, you have 3 pair. Just plug the sub rca into the sub amp, and rear rca to the rear amp, and front rca to your front amp.
Yep if you have that many outputs on the deck, then it won't be an issue. I use an alpine as well and use all three rca outputs for mine too. If you don't want any F/R or L/R separation in the sound, then yes using Y connections on the RCA's will work as well, but only as a last ditch effort IMO.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

It is generally a pretty simple matter of matching Front / Rear / Subwoofer line outputs to the corresponding amps. In a multi-amp setup you may find yourself having to use Y splitters to feed, for example, the head units front line output to four channels for front mids and tweeters. Or feeding the rear line outs to both rear amps and sub amps.

Just make sure it makes sense so you'll be able to use your fader and balance controls, otherwise using Y splits for line inputs is just fine.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:53 PM
TECH Regular

alright thanks guys. Yeah im just not sure what i should do. I actauly right now only have the front and rear outupts setup on my headunit, i think im gonna buy another RCA cable and hook up the subwoofer output on the headunit. If i run the front and rear channel's to sepearat amps wouldent it mess with my balence/face controls?
Old 12-05-2005, 02:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FLAWLS1T/A
alright thanks guys. Yeah im just not sure what i should do. I actauly right now only have the front and rear outupts setup on my headunit, i think im gonna buy another RCA cable and hook up the subwoofer output on the headunit. If i run the front and rear channel's to sepearat amps wouldent it mess with my balence/face controls?
shouldn't be a problem at all.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:35 PM
TECH Regular

O got it... ill get pictures of my setup soon for u fellas
Old 12-06-2005, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

By all means if you're head unit has 6 RCA outs, use them. It is a big convenience to be able to adjust the subs from your h/u. Like being able to turn them off for talk stations and things like that.

Being able to adjust the sub level does a lot more to balance the sound than just being able to adjust the bass.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by todddchi
By all means if you're head unit has 6 RCA outs, use them. It is a big convenience to be able to adjust the subs from your h/u. Like being able to turn them off for talk stations and things like that.

Being able to adjust the sub level does a lot more to balance the sound than just being able to adjust the bass.
ABSOLUTELY! That's one of the beauties of the Alpine decks. You get the sub level control up front with the deck and you can adjust the HPF and LPF to even more finely tune it as well, if you wish. They gave you three pairs of inputs for a reason. Take advantage
Old 12-09-2005, 10:43 PM
TECH Resident

If you havent got a head unit yet.. Look for one w/ at least 4.0 Volt pre-outs with AT LEAST 2 sets. Pioneers have 3 sets. Front,Rear,Sub. Use the Sub, and rear.