Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

no sound ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 05:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no sound ?

I own a 2000 trans am WS6. I have a pioneer premier 860 in it. The other day i was messing around with a camaro and i decided to "power shift" it (big mistake) as soon as i hit second gear my stero stopped working. I still had lights and display just no sound. So i took out the stock wires for the speakers and ran my own and tried to hook them up straight to the back of the deck and nothing worked. But here's what's getting me i still have 6.8 volts coming out of the speaker outputs but still no sound. So if anyone has any ideas please let me know.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:53 PM
TECH Resident

This might be a stupid question but, are you sure you didnt hit a "mute" button when you shifted somehow?
Old 12-15-2005, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Another stupid question would be 6.8V AC or DC from the speaker outs?
Old 12-15-2005, 10:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by red00ta
I own a 2000 trans am WS6. I have a pioneer premier 860 in it. The other day i was messing around with a camaro and i decided to "power shift" it (big mistake) as soon as i hit second gear my stero stopped working. I still had lights and display just no sound. So i took out the stock wires for the speakers and ran my own and tried to hook them up straight to the back of the deck and nothing worked. But here's what's getting me i still have 6.8 volts coming out of the speaker outputs but still no sound. So if anyone has any ideas please let me know.
are your speaker stock if not one is grounding out. the deck goes into protect when this happens or if you have the monsoon system your amp may be out as well. as far as the output from the speakers it is an AC out and varies on level (volume)
Old 12-16-2005, 12:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, I knew that the proper output was AC, but if he measured 6.8VDC out of the HU for some reason, it would pretty much prove the HU was fried.

Also, if you measure 6.8Vrms from the deck with no speaker attached, try measuring with the speaker attached. It is possible that the deck's output stage blew something and just can't drive any current thru the speaker. Assuming your speakers are 4 ohm, 6.8V equals 11.56 watts accross the speaker or 1.7 amps of current.

Last edited by HiTechGent; 12-16-2005 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by red00ta

Is the 6.8v constant or does it vary?
Make sure to have music playing when you test.
The voltage should go up and down.

Try taking a different speaker and hook it up directly of the back of the head unit