Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Where is my amplifier?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 02:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Where is my amplifier?

I have a pre-monsoon system but have the 6 speaker system. I bought a monsoon amp to replace the existing but I can't find it. I assumed it would be where the spare tire is like you all say in all the other threads. But I got nothing there. I know I have an amp because it thumps pretty good. I need help. I got the car half apart in the garage right now. Thanks!
Old 12-16-2005, 03:10 PM
Staging Lane

if all six speakers are full range speakers meaning not just base out of the middel ones you dont have a factory amp but if the mid speakers do have only base thair is an amp in it.. go futher in to it than the spare look futher twords the front of spare tire area rember six speakers consist of 2 door 2 mid and 2 trunk not the 2 in window area of front doors thoes are tweeters and are most likly tied into the door if amplified.. hope this helps...
Old 12-16-2005, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe your system is a "6 speaker" system in that you have woofers and tweeters in the doors (4 speakers) and 2 full-range speakers in the rear seat side panels. This is how the older cars were equipped, and those speakers are in fact driven off of just the head unit.

The monsoon amps were added mostly to deliver 8 channels of amp power... the actual power isn't that much higher, so your non-monsoon system can still sound pretty good (depending upon your point of view).

I'm sorry but in your case re-wiring things for a monsoon amp isn't worth the trouble. If you really insist on doing so, you'd need to splice the amp into the factory wires at your head unit like this:

- 4 factory h/unit speaker outputs to 8 monsoon inputs
- 4 monsoon amp outputs back to 4 factory speaker wires
- jump into constant 12v for the amp
- jump into ground for the amp

Note, this is only how it is possible. IMHO it makes exactly 0% sense to bother doing this, and would be a really dumb thing to do.

If you want to upgrade on a budget... many people can be very happy with:

- Replacing factory door speakers with a good quality 6.5". This gives you much better highs and clarity, costs $60.
- Tap in off of the rear speakers and install a decent powered sub, like an 8" Bazooka tube. Can be had for less than $140.

I think this is an excellent solution for someone on a very small budget, that doesn't mind the factory head unit.

In order to get a significant sound advantage over this $200 compromise, you need to reallly move into a full upgrade path... new head unit (++quality, features), 4 new speakers (++treble and clarity), new sub (++bass), plus amps (++sound volume) to power everything.

So the way I see it, it is a $200 compromise solution or a $700 or so minimum full-out approach.

If you are even remotely happy with stock I think the $200 solution would be very pleasing.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:40 PM
TECH Regular

This is really good information. Thanks alot. Unfortunately, I purchased a monsoon head unit out of a 99 T/A and an amplifier to with it. I also got the Aux adapter connector (PAC - AAI-GM9) so that I could play my Ipod. There was really nothing wrong with my old system other than it couldn't play my MP3s. So, in order to keep the stock look, I got this stuff. I could not get the AAI-GM9 adaptor to work and it might be because you have to have a 2000 or newer head unit. Do you guys know much about this? I figure that I could be not pressing the right buttons or something. What do you think?

Or do I want to sell everything and just go with the newer head unit?
Old 12-16-2005, 08:14 PM
Staging Lane

probably a bad unit(aa1-gm9) the head units are all the same for the most part but does matter if it has cd changer controls..
Old 12-16-2005, 10:01 PM
TECH Regular

How do you know if the head unit has CD changer controls?

The AAI-GM9 was new in box when I got it. I got it off ebay, though, and I guess you never know.

It sure would be nice to keep the radio I have now rather than sell it to get another one.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:57 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

You're taking a chance with a 99 CD head unit. The design was changed in the middle of the 99 model year to allow CD head units to control an external changer. Prior to that only cassette head units would work with the changer. The auxiliary adapters (such as the AAI-GM9) require external changer capability to work. If you got an early 99 model it won't work, if you got a late model it will. Unfortunately, there is no way to tell other than to try it. That's why everyone recommends a 2000 or later - you can be sure it will work.

There is good news however (I just saved a bunch of money...sorry couldn't resist). There is absolutely nothing special about the so-called Monsoon head unit. It is just an ordinary Delco radio with a Monsoon label on it. The unique part of a Monsoon system was all in the amp and the low-impedance speakers. So you can plug in the 99 head unit without the Monsoon amp and it will work fine.

As far as which buttons to use: press the 'CD/Play' button to alternate between the internal single CD and the external device (CD changer or auxiliary adapter). The track buttons all work the same for both internal and external. The '4' button is used to advance to the next disc in the changer - I don't know what function it has with the auxiliary adapter.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:14 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks Whitebird00,
So I figured out that the AAI-GM9 adaptor can only be used when you have a working slave unit. I missed that part when I was buying all this stuff. What do you think about using the PAC AUX-POD adaptor? It sounds like you need to have the Aux option which I don't think I have. If I could use this adaptor, then I wouldn't have to worry about getting the newer head unit.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are going to be using the iPod directly anyways (for example just mounted on your dash or sitting in / on the center console) there is no real need for one of the $100 ipod adapters.

The main reason for those units is that they allow you to mount the iPod out of the way like in the glove box, keep it charging, and use the radio controls to sort through your songs.

I can't imagine this would be terribly convenient with the limited controls our decks have... so if you plan on just using the actual ipod controls, then all you need to do is run a 1/4" headphone jack adapter to the RCA's on your GM9 adapter.

If this does not work - then unfortunately you have a head unit without changer controls per the information whitebird provided.

If you are on a budget I might suggest trying a wired FM modulator. The sound quality is limited but considering you are using factory hardware it should be sufficient. Then you can skip the ipod interface ($100) and return the AAI-GM9 altogether... still using the Monsoon deck you already bought.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:34 AM
TECH Regular

Well,
I got the FM Modulator but it sucks. I have a real tough time dialing it in. Even when it is dialed in, the quality is not good. I would like to use the Ipod through the adaptor. The question is, Am I better off getting a newer head unit, or getting the other adaptor (AUX-POD). Or do I have to do both?
Old 12-19-2005, 02:14 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

A couple of notes...todddchi suggested a wired FM modulator. This is one that plugs directly into your antenna cable and into the back of the radio - not one that uses a short-range broadcast to reach your radio. The difference is like night and day. A good wired modulator is designed to cut off the factory AM/FM antenna when using the auxiliary input so there is no interference at all (unless you choose the same frequency as the strongest station in your area). The sound quality is about the same as a strong FM station - which is nowhere near CD quality but really not too bad for in the car.

All of the auxiliary adapters made by various companies (PAC, PIE, etc.) require that the head unit have CD changer controls. If you got one of the early 99 head units then none of the adapters will work. You'll have to get a newer head unit and an adapter or else use an FM modulator (or buy an aftermarket system with an iPod interface built-in).

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 12-19-2005 at 02:19 PM.