Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Factory CD broke, need aftermarket 12 disc

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Factory CD broke, need aftermarket 12 disc

Hey all my Factory unit is broke and looking for the best/easiest one to put in out there.
Thanks
Old 12-27-2005, 07:56 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

The only aftermarket CD changer that can be connected to the factory system is the NeoChanger and they are not known for their reliability. Your best bet (if you don't want to replace your head unit as well) is to look for a factory changer either in the for sale section here or on eBay.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ what he just said. You can pick them up all over for $100 or so.

You are not going to beat that either in price, reliability, or ease of integration. NeoChangers are terrible, just terrible.

If you are not tied to the factory deck... might be a good time to consider an MP3 deck. For a tid bit more money you can have the same amount of music on one disc in your dash.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am going to go with an FM modulated unit. All my money goes in to go fast parts and I don't feel like messing with the bose!
Old 12-28-2005, 06:59 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by My1st Truck
I am going to go with an FM modulated unit. All my money goes in to go fast parts and I don't feel like messing with the bose!
Bose?? They haven't put Bose in our cars since the mid-90s.

It would be much less trouble to replace your existing factory changer with another one for $100-$150 than it would be to install something aftermarket. Even an FM-modulated changer requires wiring - power, ground, the remote controller head, and usually a wired modulator. They don't generally come with wireless modulators - which is a good thing since wireless modulators sound so terrible. Replacing with another factory changer would only involve plugging in the harness and bolting it to the brackets. Plus you would still be able to use the radio to control the changer.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yah, you are looking for one of our LS1 generation changers. It is a pioneer unit. they go for sale all the time and the popular f-body salvage yards probably have quite a good stock of them.

seriously there is good advice in here, if you liked your factory changer, replace it with another factory changer.
Old 01-15-2006, 02:46 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The only aftermarket CD changer that can be connected to the factory system is the NeoChanger and they are not known for their reliability. Your best bet (if you don't want to replace your head unit as well) is to look for a factory changer either in the for sale section here or on eBay.
I don't know where you've heard they are not reliable. I've had a Neochanger in my T/A for almost 2 years and no real problems. It still works fine.
It changes CD's & songs a hair bit slower then the stock 12 disc in my SS, and it skips once in a great while. But the only real problem I've ever had is sometimes when you start the car it might take a second to start up a CD.

Here is a pic if you want to see one:

BTW- The Neochanger can play MP3's, 10 disc's of MP3's.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:05 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Not everyone who buys a NeoChanger will have problems with it. But enough people do that I would hesitate before buying one.