Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

blowing fuses, help

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 04:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default blowing fuses, help

recently i've been having a problem with blowing fuses to one of my amps. here is a pic of my setup just for the hell of it.

the amp on the right is a PG xenon 400.1, i think...i can never remember the exact name. anyway it calls for a 40 amp fuse. i have 4 gauge wire fused running from the battery back to a dist. block. and tywo 8 gauge wires, pne to each amp. the dist. block also has fuses, one for each amp, that is the fuse that keeps blowing. i'm on my third fuse now, first it blew a 40 amp fuse, i could only find 60 amp replacement fuses, a week or two later that fuse blew. now i'm on another fuse and the amp has randomly turned off while the system was operating atleast twice. i figure maybe the amp is getting hot, but it has a built in fan and is never as warm as the other amp.

the main wire has a 100 amp fuse, and originally, the dist. block had a 60 and a 40 amp fuse. now it has two 60 amp fuses which i didnt think would hurt be cause they are already fused at the batt.

whats my problem?
Old 12-27-2005, 04:51 AM
12 Second Club

i'm guessing when the power led on the amp is blinking and no sound is coming out that it is in protection mode. why the hell is it doing this, every once in a while it does it no matter what rating fuse is in there. i've been having more trouble since its been a little cold out.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your wiring. A stray single strand of wire somewhere could cause this.

Beyond that I would make sure you aren't improperly loading the amp. For example showing it a 2 ohm load when it is only rated for a 4 ohm load. Many amps that are rated for 2 ohms are not 2 ohm capable when bridged.

If all your wiring checks out - maybe try changing the load from 2 to 4 ohms and see if it still shuts down.

From what you are describing I suspect it is a case of improper loading.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:47 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by todddchi
Check your wiring. A stray single strand of wire somewhere could cause this.

Beyond that I would make sure you aren't improperly loading the amp. For example showing it a 2 ohm load when it is only rated for a 4 ohm load. Many amps that are rated for 2 ohms are not 2 ohm capable when bridged.

If all your wiring checks out - maybe try changing the load from 2 to 4 ohms and see if it still shuts down.

From what you are describing I suspect it is a case of improper loading.
my amp says its stable at 1-4 ohm load, i have it wired at 1 ohm, it has been working fine for just about a year until now. i'll che check the wiring...
Old 12-27-2005, 01:17 PM
Staging Lane

Check your subs ohm loads with a meter just to be sure. The amp itself could be having a problem with its protection circuit or with the internal capacitors.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:18 PM
12 Second Club

ok i'll try that, never done it before so what exactly am i looking for, to confirm the load is 1 ohm?
Old 12-27-2005, 04:31 PM
12 Second Club

also i dont know if this matters, but latley my caps have been reading a lower voltage than normal both with the engine on and off. the battery was replaced less than a week ago and that hasnt changed anything.

i think what i'm going to do is rewire the subs for a 4 ohm load and see if that helps for now.