Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

I got a question?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 05:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default I got a question?

Ok i just installed a new headunit and i got the direct plug in wire setup it was eay and nice! Ok i saw that there was one plug i couldnt use agin and i figured it was to the Factory amp, was i right? so is there away to hook it up? if not can i just use 4oms door speakers? insted of 2oms? thanx
Old 12-28-2005, 06:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It could be for steering wheel controls, but I am not sure
Old 12-28-2005, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

The other plug is for the cd changer. I think I read about this in one of the threads here.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

I dont have a CD changer AND i dont have steering wheel controls. i just thought iw was the wires comming from the amp to the cd player
Old 12-28-2005, 11:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

T.t.t
Old 12-29-2005, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

The other plug is for the CD changer. Even if you don't have one it's there. The wiring harness you used to hook up the H/U has already been routed to the amp via the factory wiring. I just left the second "plug" hanging and tucked it back out of the way.
Old 01-01-2006, 06:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

so am it still useing the monsoon amp??? if so i still have to get the 2oms door speakers
Old 01-01-2006, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DansRedz28
so am it still useing the monsoon amp??? if so i still have to get the 2oms door speakers
Yes you are using the monsoon amp. Like mentioned above the extra plug is for a CD changer. GM put the wiring in every f body regaurdless if you have the opton.... FYI your car is also prewired for the steering controls.

You dont have to go with 2ohm door speakers if you would rather use something esle..... just keep in mind that they wont be using as much power and you will need to adjust the front/rear fade accordingly so the rears arent overpowering the fronts.
Old 01-02-2006, 01:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanx i am am going to buy the infinity kapas 2ohms for the doors
Old 01-02-2006, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LETHL_SS
Yes you are using the monsoon amp. Like mentioned above the extra plug is for a CD changer. GM put the wiring in every f body regaurdless if you have the opton.... FYI your car is also prewired for the steering controls.

You dont have to go with 2ohm door speakers if you would rather use something esle..... just keep in mind that they wont be using as much power and you will need to adjust the front/rear fade accordingly so the rears arent overpowering the fronts.
Using 4 ohm speakers instead of 2 ohm does not necessarily mean they will not be as loud. Yes it's true that a 2 ohm speaker will draw twice the current of a 4 ohm at the same volume (voltage) level (hence twice the power). But electrical power does not equate to sound power. It all depends on the efficiency (sensitivity) of the speaker. My Alpine SPS-170A's I have in the doors are just as loud as the stockers were. In fact, I was actually surprised that I did not have to adjust the fader after I first put them in. Granted I have stock speakers in the sail panels. It's likely I will have to fade them forward when I install my Audiobahn AMD60Q's.

I need to save the above paragraph so I can just paste it to future posts. I seem to be repeating myself often on this subject. lol
Old 01-03-2006, 04:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HiTechGent
Using 4 ohm speakers instead of 2 ohm does not necessarily mean they will not be as loud. Yes it's true that a 2 ohm speaker will draw twice the current of a 4 ohm at the same volume (voltage) level (hence twice the power). But electrical power does not equate to sound power. It all depends on the efficiency (sensitivity) of the speaker. My Alpine SPS-170A's I have in the doors are just as loud as the stockers were. In fact, I was actually surprised that I did not have to adjust the fader after I first put them in. Granted I have stock speakers in the sail panels.

What are you basing your remarks from? From your ears or is it back by scientific data? Yes, speaker efficiency does play a factor but , based on Ohm's Law, with such a substantial voltage drop the efficiency is negilible.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:11 PM
Teching In

the other plug is for speed controlled volume. Thats the little thing around the volume **** on the stock hu. It makes it louder the faster you are going and vice versa.