Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

TA parking/ driving lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 08:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TA parking/ driving lights

is there a jimmy rig to make my parking/ driving lights stay on when i turn on my headlights?...im talking about the lights that come on and stay on bright when you start the car, but go dim when you turn on the headlights
Old 01-03-2006, 10:11 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

The amber lights are the DRLs and are always dim until you turn on the left/right signal. Then it blinks brighter. The white lights are the fog lights and there is a way to keep them on with the high beams. Neither gets dimmer when you turn on the headlights. Which lights are you talking about? Maybe its an optical illusion?
Old 01-04-2006, 10:33 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

He's talking about the DRL/turn signal lights. They are bright when using the turn signals or when the headlights are off (DRL). They are dim when the headlights are on (parking lights).

There is no easy way to modify this operation without side effects. The function is controlled by the DRL module. It has various relays and circuits that turn the filaments on or off for DRLs, parking lights and turn signals. Basically, what you would want to do is trick it into thinking the headlights aren't on even when they are.

You can try disconnecting the yellow wire at the DRL module so that it doesn't get power when the headlight switch is on. This will have the side effect of disabling the automatic headlight feature (on Camaros and Canadian Firebirds) and may have other side effects as well (so try it at your own risk and test everything before you drive anywhere).
Old 01-04-2006, 11:02 AM
mcG
TECH Resident

i've also wondered this. let me know if you try to do it!
Old 01-04-2006, 11:57 AM
Teching In

i've actually been wanting to do this too.... but my q is, where is the drl module? sorry im a noob lol
Old 01-04-2006, 12:06 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The DRL module is a black box about the size of a pack of cigarettes mounted to the defroster duct behind the radio.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hmm, i was hoping for a sure thing with no side effects