Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

LED's and resistors

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LED's and resistors

I have a th400 trans in my car, and the shifter that I am using doesn't have anyway that I can connect the reverse lights to it. So I just hooked up the two wires on a On/Off switch. When I want the reverse lights on, I click on the swtich. When I want them off, I click again.
Now, I am trying to hook up a LED to to it, so that way when the lights are on the LED can shine so I remember they are on. I bought a 12v LED that has a built in resistor in it, and when I attach it to the wires going to the switch, the LED shines, but the reverse lights dont work. Anyone know what I am doing wrong? Thanks
Old 01-08-2006, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm not real sure but it sounds like you ran it in series with the back up lights and now your resistor is keeping your tail lights from turning on. Try running to pos wires out of the switch. One that goes to the led and the other that goes to the backuplights. Also make sure there is a seperate ground for the led and the backups. Hope this helps.
..RJ..
Old 01-08-2006, 06:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like you wired it up in series with your reverse lights. The LED/resistor assembly needs to be wired in parallel. The resistor is there as a current limit for the LED. When put in series, all your voltage is being dropped accross the resistor, and the lightbulbs are seeing next to nil. Hence, LED lights up nice and bright, but the reverse lights don't.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

thats what I thought just put in better terms. I didn't know if all would understand series and parallel but nicely put.