Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Maptech mounting question

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 04:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Maptech mounting question

Hey guys. I just mounted my new deck with the maptech flushmout kit I just got. The deck is an Alpine and the RCA cables plug into the left hand side of the deck. Problem is the cables are hitting against a plastic piece in the back when I try to slide the deck into the dash. Did you guys have to trim this piece at the rear of the dash hole or is there a better option to get it to fit. Thanks
Old 01-10-2006, 06:31 PM
Staging Lane

in the back of the hole, in the center there is a piece that sits vertical, parallel to the back face of the radio. it has a hole in it that was used by the stock HU to anchor the back of the radio. I had to remove this in order to get the new HU to fit. I scored the base of it with a utility knife 5 or 6 times then i smacked it with a hammer/screwdriver.

Not exactly sure if thats what youre referring to...but.../shrug
Old 01-10-2006, 06:38 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, you have to break if off....I guess it sucks if I ever take the new HU out and put in the stocker when I sell the car, but thats not my problem I suppose AFAIK, you have to knock that piece off for all headunits
Old 01-10-2006, 06:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

I already removed the piece you guys are talking about. The one Im refering too is the back "wall" of the opening. It seems that the RCA's are hitting this and the deck wont go all the way in. The outputs on the Alpine are just holes in the back of the deck, like a home stereo. The old Pioneer I had had the RCA outputs on a cable that came out of the back of the deck and therefore, could be moved out of the way.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:02 PM
TECH Regular

Oh wow....I'm sorry, but I can't help you with that...I would assume its made of that same crappy plastic composite stuff Maybe you could just Dremel out the size of the hold that you need that would allow the RCA Cables to pass through the "wall" so you can slide the whole head unit back in place. I'm sure there are other members that have run across this...I would just want to see some more replies before you go cutting more