Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Installing CD Player on Bose Factory LT1 - Adapter Needed?

Old 01-10-2006, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing CD Player on Bose Factory LT1 - Adapter Needed?

I have a 93 Z28 with the bose casette player from the factory. When I first got my car I installed a decent Pioneer cd-player, and it worked for about a week, then quit working. We figured it was the cd player just crapping out, so we put the tape player back in, then put the Cd-Player in my friends car, where it worked perfectly. But, my friend has this little adapter he had to buy that allows him to run an aftermarket cd player with the bose system from the factory. He bought it at the local stereo place, for like $60 bucks. And had it installed with his MP3 Player, speakers, subs, and amp.

I was wondering if there is anywhere I can buy this little adapter, because I think that is my problem? I would hate to spend $60 bucks on it, but I guess you do what you have to do. I'm also going to throw my Pioneer speakers in the back, and put Planet Audio coaxials in the front, along with 2 Planet Audio M2 subs, and a 350w x 2 Planet Audio amp will also be efficent for Me, all powered by my Pioneer Cd Player. I'm not worried about having an absolute awesome system, but I need my cd player installed, and I would like some decent bass, which is why I'm going with an affordable system that will sound good too Me.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:32 PM
Launching!

bypass the bose amp... and you will have no problems... plus no expensive adaptor that way, just cheap speaker wire.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not really a stereo expert, but are you trying to tell Me to run speaker wire to a different amp? Instead of the bose one?
Old 01-11-2006, 09:31 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

There's a lot more involved in modifying a Bose system than there is with a Monsoon.
The Bose system is a special high-impedance line-level output head unit connected to speakers with individual amps mounted on them (there is no single amp like in a Monsoon system). Basically, aftermarket Bose adapters are line-level adapters designed specifically for the high-impedance load.

If you plan to change all the speakers as well as the head unit then you are essentially eliminating the entire Bose system so go ahead and use standard components without any adapter. If you plan to keep the Bose speaker/amp assemblies then you will need an adapter for the head unit output to make it work properly. You really can't mix and match Bose speakers with aftermarket speakers (at least not easily) - it's all or nothing.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I planned on just installing the Cd-Player for now, and doing subs/amp later. Because I don't have the money for the whole system now. But it sounds like I'm going to have to buy the adapter to do that, because unless I run the speakers off the Cd-Players amp or something, I still need my bose amp. Basically I just need the adapter, unless I'm doing the whole system right now? Anyone know where I can get it cheapest?
Old 01-12-2006, 06:58 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Renegade
I planned on just installing the Cd-Player for now, and doing subs/amp later. Because I don't have the money for the whole system now. But it sounds like I'm going to have to buy the adapter to do that, because unless I run the speakers off the Cd-Players amp or something, I still need my bose amp. Basically I just need the adapter, unless I'm doing the whole system right now? Anyone know where I can get it cheapest?
Yes, you'll need the adapter until you replace all the speakers later (remember, you can't connect an aftermarket head unit to any of the factory Bose speakers because they each have an integrated amp).

Probably the best deal on the adapter (without buying out of somebody's trunk...) is here ($49.95).
Old 01-12-2006, 02:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Yes, you'll need the adapter until you replace all the speakers later (remember, you can't connect an aftermarket head unit to any of the factory Bose speakers because they each have an integrated amp).

Probably the best deal on the adapter (without buying out of somebody's trunk...) is here ($49.95).
Thanks WhiteBird, looks like I'll be ordering one.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

you can get the same thing at best buy for 30, and a gm harness for 16, and not have to wait for it, nor pay shipping

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installing CD Player on Bose Factory LT1 - Adapter Needed?