Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Custom Stealthbox Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 04:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Stealthbox Questions

OK, so im having this guy build me a custom sub box for my 12" pioneer. He sent me an email back saying he CAN do the job, but need some info. Hes asking

what type of enclosure, how much airspace is required and tuning frequency if ported.

I have no idea what most of that means. lol.

So yeah, if you guys could just real quick explain this for my dumbass, i would be very happy.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

you should scan a copy of the spec sheet that came with the sub, and email to the builder

btw, how does he know that he can build a stealth box, and not know the required airspace?
Old 01-13-2006, 04:57 PM
12 Second Club

the enclosure should be answered(a stealthbox), every one of them I ever seen is simular in design, but I haven't seen many 12inch stealthbox's. Has the person made them for the F Body before? The airspace you need is based on the sub, there are many models of Pioneer subs, so you will need the model# and go to Pioneers site and find out what the manufacturer recommends in a sealed enclosure(I assume it will be sealed). You may be better off getting a 10 inch pre made stealth box and sub designed for small enclosures. Anyone can make a box, but I assume you want something to keep total use of your hatch area and the stealth box sits on the area where the disc changer mounts, there isn't much room and if he is building it without a design already, then I would avoid him building it. You probably want something that blends in and doesn't look out of place. Nobody could build one without having the car there to measure and make sure it fits, if he doesn't have a previous one that he made to go by.

Last edited by rotwiler; 01-13-2006 at 05:03 PM.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rotwiler
the enclosure should be answered(a stealthbox)
Uh, No, the guy is asking if you want a ported or sealed enclosure. However I would also question the guys knowlege as a ported 12" will most likely require a lot more airspace (especially when you try to cram an appropriately sized port into the box) than a tiny stealthbox can provide. Actually, depending on the parameters of your sub, it may be a little on the small side for a sealed enclosure. I have to agree that you may be better served with a different driver, most likely a 10" intended for a small enclosure.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:34 AM
TECH Resident

The only way a 12" can be done in a driver's side stealthbox, is by making a fiberglass enclosure, and using a driver capable of small enclosures (< 1 CuFt). There is no way to get enough volume for a ported enclosure. I hope your guy knows what the hell he's doing.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:09 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TA guy
Uh, No, the guy is asking if you want a ported or sealed enclosure. However I would also question the guys knowlege as a ported 12" will most likely require a lot more airspace (especially when you try to cram an appropriately sized port into the box) than a tiny stealthbox can provide. Actually, depending on the parameters of your sub, it may be a little on the small side for a sealed enclosure. I have to agree that you may be better served with a different driver, most likely a 10" intended for a small enclosure.
The title of the this post is "Custom Stealthbox questions". That is where Stealthbox came from in my post. All the stealthbox's I have seen are sealed, ported will be too big to work good at least if it is a typical stealthbox. Is a hard post to answer, since all the questions are around a custom box, not a stealthbox, but the title was all I was going by. If a custom box is wanted, there needs to be more info on how much space you want used up for a box etc... There are a lot of pre made sub enclosures that will work(mtx, JL, subthump, rockbox, ebay).