Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

12 volt power source in the rear?

Old 01-16-2006, 02:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 12 volt power source in the rear?

I've got a 12 gauge wire running from the battery to the passenger's side rear quarter panel to run my power antenna. I tried splicing into the stock amp power source, but the antenna would go up real slow so I ran the 12 gauge wire to a distribution block mounted on the wheel well and hooked it up there. My question is, is there another 12 volt power source back there so I can hook up the antenna, but has enough juice to quickly raise it?

Also, is there a way I can hook up the antenna to go up automatically when I turn on the radio (not CD player) without having to flip a switch manually?
Old 01-16-2006, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you wire the antenna to your deck, it sould automatically put it down when using a cd or aux. btw, the only 12v in the rear that i know of are the tail lights
Old 01-16-2006, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

btw, if the antenna is going up and down slowly, you can try cleaning the mast, but i sounds like the motor is shot, as opposed to it not getting enough juice
Old 01-16-2006, 03:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jimmy 2 Times
if you wire the antenna to your deck, it sould automatically put it down when using a cd or aux. btw, the only 12v in the rear that i know of are the tail lights
Is there a write-up on how to do this? I also know it's not the motor that's shot. I works just fine right now that I have it connected to the distribution block.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.blackcamaro.com/antenna.htm

Old 01-16-2006, 04:48 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the link, one question though. Is the antenna supposed to go up only when the AM/FM is on, or as long as the radio is turned on (either CD or AM/FM)? My antenna goes up whether I'm listening to a CD or to the radio and I want it to go up only when I'm listening to the radio.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a Pioneer deck and when I turn the radio or CD player on the antenna is up. It doesnt bother me so I left it like that. I suppose if you wanted it down when you are listening to a CD you could wire in a switch to do so.

Search this Thread