Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

need help delco replacement with monsoon

Old 01-17-2006, 03:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need help delco replacement with monsoon

I am soon going to be replacing all my ac delco stock speakers with the monsoon speakers, doors, rear hatch, and back seat speakers. I have one problem though. Since i have a regular camaro, i have the crappy speakers not the monsoon and my rear hatch panels do NOT have the speaker grille cut out therefore no speaker is there and therefore no wiring to my head unit. I am going to purchase new panels that DO have the speaker grille's cut out, i think its a 4'' speaker that goes in there,that come with the speakers in them. after puting on the new rear hatch panel's with the speakers in, i realize that i dont have wiring coming from my head unit but i do have speakers coming out of the speakers that i just bought because my stock system did not have the rear hatch speakers installed. so my question is how do i get those rear hatch speakers wired without having to replace my whole wiring harness coming out of my head unit. i was thinking of hooking them up to a 2 channel amp that i have laying around and connecting the amp to my after market head unit, would that work? please write back if anyone has any other suggestions or any advice

Last edited by mellis028; 01-17-2006 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

to the top.. HELP ME PLEASE
Old 01-18-2006, 03:57 PM
Teching In

I am going to get this all wrong, so consider this a bump, but I think there is another amp in the monsoon cars not just the head unit amp. You will either want to get that amp or a replacement.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, I'm going to take the time to tell you this, and I hope you listen.

The monsoon speakers are designed to use a separate monsoon amplifier. It is a 8 channel amplifier, and also uses the 4 head unit amp channels.

- 2 amp channels to front door woofers
- 2 head unit channels to front door tweeters
- 4 amp channels to sail panel subs (DVC)
- 2 head unit channels to rear hatch tweeters
- 2 amp channles to rear hatch midranges

As you can see to do what you are attempting would take a ridiculous amount of effort and cost a potload of money to end up with a sub-par monsoon system clone.

- monsoon speaker set
- monsoon amp
- new hatch panels
- an insane amount of wiring to get it dialed in correctly (new wiring from head unit to amp... from amp to all speakers... not to mention wiring up the amp itself which is a mess of 24 some odd wires to splice up correctly)

Don't do this. If you already have the monsoon speakers, put those suckers on eBay and get $100 out of the set.

Then buy 4 solid coaxial speakers from your favorite manufacturer. They don't have to be too nice because you are using only your head unit power.
Next, buy a small powered sub like a 6.5" or 8" bazooka tube. Tap it off the rear speaker wires, run power and ground, and get on with your life.

Total cost:
- $120 for 4x coaxials from the net.
- $100-200 for a good bazooka or similar powered sub.

This will sound a lot better than what you want to do. And if you decide to add an amp and h/u later you'll be set to do so.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have a 10'' solo baric l7, 600watt amp, and an alpine hu. the HU is already installed but i need to get a box for the 10'' solo baric so i already. so i guess i only need to get 4 new speakers, 2 for the doors and 2 for the sail panel in the back seat, and a box for my sub.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mellis028
i have a 10'' solo baric l7, 600watt amp, and an alpine hu. the HU is already installed but i need to get a box for the 10'' solo baric so i already. so i guess i only need to get 4 new speakers, 2 for the doors and 2 for the sail panel in the back seat, and a box for my sub.
Todd's advice is totally right on man. Go to subthump.com, get a stealth box and forget the rear hatch speakers entirely. I have 6.5" coax speakers in the doors and sail panels and a 10" sub in a subthump drivers side stealth box. a small 175 watt JL amp where the spare tire goes. Completely stealth, loud enough for someone that doesn't listen to a lot of hip hop (me in other words). I let my pioneer head unit power the door and sail speakers at 45 watts, not too great volume but it all sounds better than the monsoon.

Search this Thread