Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

how do trans am headlight motors work?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 01:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default how do trans am headlight motor work

i don't know where to post this so i'll post it here since it gets alot of exposure and in the electronics forum.

how does the headlight know when to quit coming up? could you mount it to a switch? i'm rewiring the car and my only fear is the trans am headlights popping up and coming down

Last edited by chpmnsws6; 01-18-2006 at 01:26 AM.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:24 AM
TECH Addict

Default how do trans am headlight motor work

i don't know where to post this so i'll post it here and in the lounge.

how does the headlight know when to quit coming up? could you mount it to a switch? i'm rewiring the car and my only fear is not knowing how the trans am headlights pop up and come down
Old 01-18-2006, 08:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you using the factory wiring harness at all? My race car was gutted of any and all factory wiring so I hade to figure out a way to get the lights to go up and down. Basically, if you know anything about switches, you will need to get a DPDT switch.

A DPDT is a double pole double throw, meaning that there are six terminals on the back of the switch.

Kinda like this

l l
l l
l l

On my switch that I bought from Home Depot, you bring your 12 volt source and ground into the middle 2 terminals. The top set of 2 is load A and the bottom set of 2 is Load B. Use a green/black wire combo (same as factory), the top left is green, top right is black, bottom left is black, bottom right is green. You just need to have the opposite on the bottom as you have on top.

My switch is a momentary on switch, where once you press the switch up or down and let off, it pops back to the center or neutral zone.

I have mine wired up now and working, if you need a picture of how I did the wiring on the switch, let me know.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:14 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the arm off of the motor hits a peg, when that happens, the motor senses resistance and stops.. at least that's how I think it works
Old 01-18-2006, 01:38 PM
TECH Addict

SWEET! thats what i was looking for. anything else on the car you suggest? its being completly rewired

if its not to much trouble, the picture would be great

thank you

Last edited by chpmnsws6; 01-18-2006 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:22 PM
TECH Addict

and could it be used with the stock headlight switch?