Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Question about DVC

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question about DVC

I currently have a Alpine Type-S Sub with dual 4 ohm voice coils with my MTX 6500D Amp. I am planning to add another Type-S Sub. Do I have to use both voice coils or would it be better to get (2) Type-S Subs with 2 ohm DVC's?
Old 01-19-2006, 09:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could use dual 4 ohm subs without any problem. It just depends on how youwire it up. If this amp is 1ohm stable, run both speakers in parallel (+ T0 +/- to - then to the amp x 2DV speakers = 1ohm) and you'll be fine. If not, wire the voice coils in series and then connect to the amp (+ to - to + to - and then to amp x 2DV speakers = 4ohm) With this setup in parallel will use more power from the amp, so make sure your amp is 1 ohm stable in order not to fry your speakers much less your amp! Haven't worked with MTX in a while, but from what I remember they were damn good amps. Good Luck!
Old 01-19-2006, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The amp that I have is 2 ohm stable and is a monoblock version. The amp is follows:

400 Watts x 1 @ 4 Ohm
800 Watts x 1 @ 2 Ohm

With 2 DVC Sub's (SWS-1042D) with 4 Ohm VC's, my option is a 4 Ohm Load and that will put 100 Watts on each VC. If I change the Subs to the SWS-1022D (DVC), I can get a 2 Ohm Load to the Amp. I can also get a 2 Ohm Load to the Amp only using one VC from each Sub (4 Ohm DVC). Will that hurt anything?
Old 01-19-2006, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Using too high an impedance will not fry the amplifier. A higher impedance means you're driving less current at the same volume (voltage) level. It's too much current that fries amplifiers. Current causes heat, heat kills transistors. This is why it is important to make sure the load impedance is equal to or higher than the output capabilities of the amplifer.

If the amplifier can drive enough current to be stable at 1 ohm, it would likely saturate and start clipping the signal causing horrible distortion before it would drive enough current to fry the transistors with a 4 ohm load. This is NOT good for the speakers, but shouldn't kill the amplifier.

Just remember: Amps (amperes) kill amps (amplifiers)!