Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

just something to replace stockers.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 06:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default just something to replace stockers.

I dont know **** about speakers.. i was just looking for a little more by replacing the stock speakers, I mostly listen to rock and hip hop.. and some metal any suggestions?
Old 01-21-2006, 07:00 PM
TECH Junkie

you will most likely have to replace everything to sound secent, as the monsoon sucks if you add just speakers to the stock deck. I would get a decent deck, 4 speakers with a 4 channel amp and it will sound very good.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

All the stereo dealers tell you the same thing as black01_WS6. And it's true to the extent that if you want really high sound quality, or to rattle your neighbors windows, you'll be wanting to replace the entire Monsoon system.

But if you're just looking for modest improvement, a speaker swap will do it for you.

For door speaker replacement, the Infinity Kappa 62.7's are popular. I like the Alpine SPS-170A's, but you'll need to buy seperate tweeters for your Pontiac. I believe the Kappa's have a removable tweeter for remote mounting, even though they are classified as a coaxial speaker.

In the sail panels (rear seat), I like either the Audiobahn AMD60Q or Pioneer Premier TS-M7PRS speakers. Remember, you'll see 4 wires going to each speaker here, as the stockers are dual voice coil (Pontiacs only, Camaros have SVC sail speakers). Only hook up 1 pair of wires to your replacements. The amp doesn't seem to like the 2 pairs being bridged.

Some people claim that the rear hatch speakers are not worth replacing. But I'm really glad I did in my SS. I know the rear hatch in Pontiacs have both a mid and tweeter back there. I do not know if these are combined into a single speaker on each side, or totally seperate. Camaros have only a 4" midrange speaker on each side back there. I replaced mine with SPS-100A's when I did my door swap.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:11 AM
12 Second Club

Thanx guys.. I think im going to get a new deck as well.. but were would i get those faceplat cover things?
Old 01-22-2006, 08:25 PM
12 Second Club

The Kappa's do not have a removable tweeter for remote mounting, but they do sound great. They put out a little more bass than the stockers too.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:47 PM
Launching!

Sent you a pm on the mounting plate.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont remember him saying he had the monsoon system.. if not.. all he would need would be to upgrade speakers.. and get an aftermarket amp, with the amp converters to sound good. am i right or wrong? (not a speaker expert)