Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Newbie- help me decide on upgrading.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 12:11 PM
What's a Sticky?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Newbie- Help upgrade STOCK NON-MONSOON system

Hi, I have a 1997 Z28 so I dont have the monsoon stereo. First, im looking to upgrade my speakers. Which of these would be the best speaker for the front door? Or is there something better in that same kinda price range?
Infinity Kappa 62.7 OR
Alpine SPS-170A

And then for the sail panel, which of these is the better speaker? Again, is there something better out there in the same price range.
Audiobahn AMD60Q OR
Pioneer Premier TS-M7PRS

I just read a little bit about how a regular 4-ohm speaker doesn't sound good with the monsoon, which i don't have, but the above speakers were said to be liked by a guy with a monsoon system, so maybe the above speakers aren't close to what I need. I don't know a lot about this, please help. If it matters I have the stock Delco stereo in there right now. But I am wanting to upgrade the H/U soon. I am wanting to get an Alpine head unit. What is a good model for a decent price? I am in college right now so I can't spend a fortune on just a H/U. Thanks for any help guys.

Last edited by 97MysticZ; 01-22-2006 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-22-2006, 03:28 PM
What's a Sticky?

to the top
Old 02-02-2006, 11:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd get a Rockford amp off of ebay and power those speakers big time. Regular 4ohm speakers would work fine then. Get whatever you think sounds the best. Find a store that has both and listen to them. Turn off the bass and treble boost that the radio may have cranked up. That's really the best way as everyones opinion of what sounds good will vary.

Last edited by JasonWW; 02-02-2006 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

When it comes to that price range... Jason is correct. Sample as many different brand names as you can. Don't only visit one store and make sure to include some actual audio shops in your visit.