Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Frost king part #

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 06:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Frost king part #

Anyone know what the frost king part number is. I searched and came up with all of one thread about frost king and I know there is one out there with the part number from a long while ago but I sure can't find it.

Thanks
Jon
Old 01-22-2006, 07:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think a bunch of threads recently got purged. That's why you aren't finding anything with the search. Just go to Lowe's and look in the plumbing section for duct insulation. It comes in 4" and 12" rolls, and is nothing more than closed-cell foam with an aluminium sheet backing. At least that was what was on the shelves when I went Saturday.

Don't know if you realizes this or not, but it won't really do very much as far as dampening sound because does not add mass or convert the soundwaves into heat energy as products like dynamat do. Instead, it only stops sound from traveling through it, like all other closed-cell foam products it is best used on top of a layer of deadener. So, if you want to go cheap you can try some peal-n-seal which is also available at Lowe's underneath the frost king.

But I wouldn't advise it as it is made out of the same asphalt-type formula as the original dynamat was, and it will melt in your doors if temperatures get much above 80 where you live. The best suggestion I've found it get some second skin damplifier. It's much cheaper than dynamat, but thicker and performs better. Send me a pm if you're interested, and I'll give you the e-mail address of the owner of the company and he will work out a great deal for you. Also, I'm not sure if thread is still here or not, but there was a sound-deadener showdown thread around that compared and explained all this much better than I ever could.

Hope some of this helped you. I noticed that you have a lot of performance mods, so you may be looking for something light, if so deadener ain't it, so just ignore everything I just said.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well my local lowes does not carry it all they have are the water heater insulators buy frost king but not the roll's like everyone uses. I'm just looking to get rid of some of the road noise so i just need something to block the noise, I will probably use some dynomat under it in a few select places.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I know what you mean by the water heater insulator, it looks like bubble wrap sandwiched between aluminum foil. That's not what you are looking for. The frost king, looks like closed cell foam overlaid with aluminum. You should be able to find it by asking for duct insulation. Sorry I don't know the exact part number or would post it for ya.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well i'll have to take another look but i could't find it nor could one of the guys at lowes. But there not always all that helpfull if its not something in there area.

I just found it at home depot's website under duct insulation. I tried everything else then finally tried duct insualtion and there it was.

Thanks
Jon

Last edited by JonB; 01-23-2006 at 10:26 PM.