Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

build a stereo cooler for the river

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 06:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default build a stereo cooler for the river

Ive tried searching the net and couldnt find any info about stereo coolers. People turn coolers into a stereo to listen to music while they float the river.

I want to build one and was wondering about what to use as far as the electronics. Obviously marine speakers would be a good idea, but what else...

I have an Ipod I never use and can use this for the songs. maybe even use the FM radio (itrip) and have the ipod in a sealed bag with a floaty or something, totally seperate from the cooler, to easily change the songs.

So what should I use for the radio though? a stereo unit with batteries connected to the marine speakers? a cheap car radio and small 12v battery? would I need some kind of small amp...

just wanted to get some ideas and if anybody knows where to find some info on the setups made by others I would like to know

thanks
Old 01-23-2006, 08:30 PM
TECH Regular

Go to your local Boaters World and they can set you up with everything you need. What I would do is have a sealed container that is fully waterproof and put my battery and wiring inside of it and then you can purchase a cd player and speakers that are waterproof that will not only resist being splashed but can actually be submersed without messing them up. That way you can have the player and speakers visible and audible without being sealed up in a water tight container.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:31 PM
12 Second Club

Well a marine cd player is a little more money than I wanted to spend. If someone paid me to make a badass one thats what I would do; but for my friends and me, and with me paying for everything, I got to go cheap.

I think Im going to use a real cheap 12v car tape/radio player, maybe cd player if I can find one for cheap. The 12v power and speakers should be easy to wire up from the back of the player. I can use one of those cheap tape adapters to hook up a portable cd player or my ipod, or just use the radio (or ipod itrip w/ radio like in 1st post)

what kind of battery would be good, a 12v gel cell, 12v "lantern battery", or try to find a small motorcycle battery?
Old 01-24-2006, 09:39 PM
Launching!

i've seen some nice one's.i knew someone that built a beach box.had 4-12's,4-10's and 4 6x9's.i would hit up ebay for everything.maybe a pawnshop.get you a brand like legacy or jensen.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:41 PM
Launching!

I've built one... only problem I had with it was The radio shorted out when I tried to change songs... I used a optima yellow top, might use a motorcycle battery this time. (either way use a deep cycle sealed battery)

My next one will hopefully be fiberglass instead of a cooler again... (well maybe a cooler bottom)

Good luck, and definately use marine grade speakers.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:03 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlkTARebel99
I've built one... only problem I had with it was The radio shorted out when I tried to change songs... I used a optima yellow top, might use a motorcycle battery this time. (either way use a deep cycle sealed battery)

My next one will hopefully be fiberglass instead of a cooler again... (well maybe a cooler bottom)

Good luck, and definately use marine grade speakers.
what kind of radio setup did you use? what was the shorting out problem, the wires?

a small sealed battery does sound like the best idea
Old 01-26-2006, 09:55 PM
Launching!

I just used a standard kenwood cd player... the faceplate shorted out when I didn't dry my hands all the way and tried to push buttons.... I also used a marine cover to attempt to keep that from happening (only kinda worked).

You going memorial day weekend?
Old 01-27-2006, 04:22 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah I wouldnt want to spend to much on it... Our last one took a nasty fall on one of the rapids.....

Quick Reply: build a stereo cooler for the river