Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Ignition Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 11:57 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ignition Cylinder

Is there a write up on how to remove the ignition cylinder in the steering column? I went to start my car up and it didn't want to kick over the starter wouldn't even try. The battery is fine and everything else in the car works. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:03 PM
TECH Resident

I dont believe it would be the ignition lock cylinder, more likely the actual ignition switch... http://shbox.com/ignsw/ign_switch_repl.html

Its in one PITA spot too... Hope this helps.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:45 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the help. From what it seems like it's just the ignition cylinder. Hopefully i'll find out tomorrow.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:46 AM
Staging Lane

did you find out what it was? my car this morning would not start either and I am thinking it is the same thing. I turn the key, but nothing catches. IT just turns and does nothing. There really isn't any resistance at all either, like the cylinder isn't catching. It just turns back and forth with ease...please let me know if you found any solutions/what it took to fix it. thanks

Matt
Old 04-06-2006, 10:27 AM
Launching!

It was my ignition cylinder that went bad. There are two wires that connect to it and run down the steering collum. the one broke from normal wear and tear. It was like $60 for a new piece and like 30 for a new ignition key. the dealers wanted like $300-400 to fix it so me and my dad did it. took about a day going slow to take everything off the car that needed taken off and changed and to put everything back on. I bought one of those haynes manuals it tells you pretty much everything you need to do to fix it. Good Luck with it.