Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

aftermarket HU with stock amp?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 04:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket HU with stock amp?

ok, i am sure this problem is common but i installed a pioneer head unit with the factory amp still in the car. the radio will cut out at a certain volumn level which is vary low. also the voltage booster also causes it to cut out but that i am not worried about. i have been told that the factory amp needs to be bypassed, that the amp draws to much current cause the breaker to blow. if this is the case and i need to remove the amp to correct my condition, is there an easy plug in harness or do i have to wire in one from scratch, eaither way, it is no problem, i just need to know exactly what to do which no one has the answer for.

by the way, it is a 94 Formula, i believe with a monsoon system, 6 main speakers with the amp in the passenger rear side panel.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:54 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

What "voltage booster"?

Did you check the FAQ:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/303776-frequently-asked-questions.html

Specifically this topic:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....20&postcount=5
Old 01-31-2006, 09:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Doesn't the HU have speaker outs? You weren't trying to run the Monsoon amp off of the RCA pre-amp outputs, were you?
Old 02-01-2006, 10:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by VIP1
What "voltage booster"?

Did you check the FAQ:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303776

Specifically this topic:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....20&postcount=5
casper's electronics WOT voltage booster, cranks voltage to about 16-16.5 volts at WOT.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by HiTechGent
Doesn't the HU have speaker outs? You weren't trying to run the Monsoon amp off of the RCA pre-amp outputs, were you?
no i was not, i wired the back of the radio just like it should be with the adapter harness.

i know the amp needs to be removed, just need to know if there is an easy way
Old 02-01-2006, 04:31 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

A Monsoon amp should not need to be removed - it is quite capable of running off an aftermarket head unit.

There's a couple of things though... the 94 f-bodies never came with a Monsoon system - they had either an "extended range" system or the premium Bose system. If you have a Bose system then you will need an adapter to make the head unit work properly. The Bose system had a special head unit that produced high-impedance, line-level output into speakers that have individual amps attached. Plugging a standard radio into that kind of system will cause exactly the symptoms you describe. You can find Bose adapters on the internet - otherwise you'd have to replace all the speakers because the amps are built in to each one and can't be bypassed.

Now, if you have the "extended range" system then I would suspect that the 16 - 16.5 volts is too much for the head unit. They are designed for 14.5 volts and you're talking about 15% overvoltage. That could be exceeding the tolerances of the unit.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
A Monsoon amp should not need to be removed - it is quite capable of running off an aftermarket head unit.

There's a couple of things though... the 94 f-bodies never came with a Monsoon system - they had either an "extended range" system or the premium Bose system. If you have a Bose system then you will need an adapter to make the head unit work properly. The Bose system had a special head unit that produced high-impedance, line-level output into speakers that have individual amps attached. Plugging a standard radio into that kind of system will cause exactly the symptoms you describe. You can find Bose adapters on the internet - otherwise you'd have to replace all the speakers because the amps are built in to each one and can't be bypassed.

Now, if you have the "extended range" system then I would suspect that the 16 - 16.5 volts is too much for the head unit. They are designed for 14.5 volts and you're talking about 15% overvoltage. That could be exceeding the tolerances of the unit.
the high voltage should not matter, the radio kicks out at a low volumn level even with the car off
Old 02-02-2006, 08:05 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by lafnlt1
the high voltage should not matter, the radio kicks out at a low volumn level even with the car off
The rest of his post still applies.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:55 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would you have a voltage booster doing anything other than powering a fuel pump?
Old 02-03-2006, 08:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Frost
Why would you have a voltage booster doing anything other than powering a fuel pump?
it kick the whole system up including the ignition system along with the fuel pumps