Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

amp hookup to monsoon

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 09:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default amp hookup to monsoon

before i go and rip apart my dash to look are there hookups in the back of the monsoon radio to run an amp and a sub like a aftermarket head unit has, if not how would i go about doin it i wanna keep the monsoon radio i like it but i really want my 1 10" sub in the back
Old 02-19-2006, 11:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This can be done all from the rear of the car. I did exactly this for my 2000 z28 with the monsoon system and the same thing for my brothers 2003 Tahoe. It does require a small circuit though so I dont know how comfortable you are with soldering and such. There is basically two parts to this.
(1) create low level RCA type signals for your amp from the high level sitting at DC 6 volt signal to the inputs of the stock monsoon amp. Basically couple of capicators and resistors.
(2) create a on/off 12V signal that monitors the 6VDC signal on the speaker wires. This will connect to your amps remote turn on lead. Some caps, resistors and a couple of FET's.

Let me know if you are interested in tackling this circuit and I will post the schematic, parts list and instructions. I didnt want to go to the trouble of writing everything up if you were not going to use it.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

verdes method will work out but it sounds overly complicated for what you want to do. There are NOT RCA pre-amp outputs on the back of the monsoon head unit.

The easiest thing to do here is to find the rear speaker inputs from the monsoon head unit to the monsoon amp on the ingoing harness at the monsoon amp, which is in front of the spare tire. Wire color codes can be found on the net and here in various threads.

If your amp has high level inputs, splice off those into your amp. If you amp does not have high level inputs hook a line level converter up here and then run it to your amp.

I'm not sure about verde's way of getting a usable amp-turn on lead from the monsoon wiring. I do know there is a normal switched turn-on lead you can spice into at the head unit and run wiring back to your amp. Since you should be running a power wire anyways just do this at the same time.

The absolute easiest solution would a with an amp that has high level inputs and current sensing for auto-on. Lots of MTS amps are like this as are many pre-fab solutions like bazooka tubes. Then all you need to do is run power and tap into the rear speaker wires into the amp.

In other words, there are lots of different ways to do this.