Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Installing new HU , what about security and stuff

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 06:30 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Installing new HU , what about security and stuff

So I read that its real easy to swap the hu out but what about the anti theft crap and the alarm or any features that run through the monsoon? On my wifes 03 impala ls there was an expensive adapter bullshit to buy for all the stuff to work normally with the new hu.
I have a 99 Camaro SS with an Eclipse going in. All my stuff is arriving I'll be installing next week. Eclipse, da hex's, PG x200.4, BA g5 subthump stealth box and amp rack. Where should I route the power cable thru the firewall?
Old 02-18-2006, 08:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they want it bad enough they'll take it. The security stuff built in the monsoon HU is just the security codes. About all you can do is buy a HU that you can remove the face, buy an alarm and park the car in safe places.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

There are no factory electronics tied to our head units. It is a straightforward install with a normal dash kit, harness, and antenna adapter. Some newer 2002+ or so GM cars integrate some functions like the door chimes or Onstar into the stereo. Ours are old enough this is a non issue. Worst case even on such cars it's just a $50 module. Dealers might try to stick ya for alot more than that. I've had Best Buy type places say there were ECM functions in the radio... they'll do anything to make a buck.

The place to run a power cable is through a rubber grommet (existing) in the firewall located under the ECM. It is on the passenger side close to the windshield, you have to undo 2 bolts and it pops out with a little wiggling. I know there is a thread on here with pics.

Theft is mostly a by product of carelessness. If you run your **** loud around home or brag it up in public, you'll get tagged and then it's a matter of time if thieves are around. Stereo stickers are like painting a target on your car. Keep it down around home, tint your windows, and mount your amps and stuff so it's not visible from the outside. Hatchback cars like ours can be very loud from the outside so it won't take much to catch someone's attention.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by todddchi
Theft is mostly a by product of carelessness. If you run your **** loud around home or brag it up in public, you'll get tagged and then it's a matter of time if thieves are around. Stereo stickers are like painting a target on your car. Keep it down around home, tint your windows, and mount your amps and stuff so it's not visible from the outside. Hatchback cars like ours can be very loud from the outside so it won't take much to catch someone's attention.
He is correct. Also make sure you check with your insurance company to see what's covered in case something does happen. Some insurance companies want a rider policy on top of your current insurance. Just make sure you check.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:12 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There are no factory electronics tied to our head units. It is a straightforward install with a normal dash kit, harness, and antenna adapter. Some newer 2002+ or so GM cars integrate some functions like the door chimes or Onstar into the stereo. Ours are old enough this is a non issue. Worst case even on such cars it's just a $50 module. Dealers might try to stick ya for alot more than that. I've had Best Buy type places say there were ECM functions in the radio... they'll do anything to make a buck.

The place to run a power cable is through a rubber grommet (existing) in the firewall located under the ECM. It is on the passenger side close to the windshield, you have to undo 2 bolts and it pops out with a little wiggling. I know there is a thread on here with pics.
Thanks, thats what I was looking for. Just making sure about the factory electronics. On the 03 impala ls the headlights and other crap was tied to the stereo and they robbed me for the module.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

It kind of goes without saying, but if you are in an area or park alot in areas where you are truly worried about theft, make sure you keep records of your equipment purchases and take some pictures of the installation.

What gets most people is being in a high school / college environment where people can track your habits and know where the car is consistently. The only other targeted stereo theft I've heard of since high school (10+years ago) was a buddy who had JL stickers plastered on his ride.

And I work alot in Detroit.

Some insurance companies will give a discount for an alarm. I have mixed feelings about them but if it helps you feel better then you may as well do/have that done at the same time.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

if I remember right...several things are connected to my Monsoon. IE alarm settings, windows, door locks. All of these things are connected to the Monsoon HU. Its in my owners book....but that is in storage with the car...sigh....... WHEN IS IT GOING TO GET NICE OUT SO I CAN GET IN MY CAR AGAIN!!!!! off subject, but it was -20 today.

Kurt
Old 02-20-2006, 07:39 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by firefitn
if I remember right...several things are connected to my Monsoon. IE alarm settings, windows, door locks. All of these things are connected to the Monsoon HU. Its in my owners book....but that is in storage with the car...sigh....... WHEN IS IT GOING TO GET NICE OUT SO I CAN GET IN MY CAR AGAIN!!!!! off subject, but it was -20 today.

Kurt
Nope, not in an F-body. There is absolutely nothing special about a Monsoon head unit in an F-body. It's just a plain old Delco radio with a "Monsoon" label on it. The "special" part of the Monsoon system is all in the external amp and the odd-impedance speakers.

The alarm, door lock, keyless entry, etc. functions are all handled by the Body Control Module (BCM) - a black box about the size of a paperback book mounted under the dash behind the glovebox.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:39 AM
TECH Resident

Excellent post!!! I NEVER pound my system around my home, work, malls, or places where I might have to park and the leave the car unattended for a while... Also, have the car tinted and the installation is invisible [ hidden subs, amps.. ] and absolutely NO stickers!!