Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

stealthbox: JL vs. subthump

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 10:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default stealthbox: JL vs. subthump

Anyne know what's the difference between the JL audio stealthbox and the subthump stealthbox? Such as; material, quality, weight, sound, etc. The JL is more expensive, but is it better?
JL
Subthump
Old 02-24-2006, 10:51 PM
TECH Resident

JL definately makes awesome products. i wil completely agree with that, but after owning and having my subthump box...i cant imiagine any box being better. it is constructed extremely well, looks great. sounds great. fits great.

Overall i am extremely happy with my subthump purchase.

Louie Panayi
Old 02-25-2006, 12:14 AM
12 Second Club

I am a die hard JL fan Love my JL stealth box with the 10W6 and e1400D amp damn that mother hits hard as hell...
Old 02-25-2006, 03:39 AM
TECH Resident

sumpthump make amazing boxes unbeleivable qualty
Old 02-25-2006, 09:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

subthump, and heres why:
1. better design/materials, MUCH better
2. you can pick the sub u want to put in there
3. MUCH less expensive for a better box

to me its a no brainer, steve is the master box builder, plain and simple. if he cant build it, it cant be built
Old 02-25-2006, 10:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the replys.
The subthump says it's mdf construction, what is that exactly? And I think the JL is made of fiberglass. Would one be better for sound quality? or weight? Or does it not matter?
Old 02-25-2006, 03:05 PM
Launching!

The subthump is mdf, and the jl is fiberglass, the fiberglass should be lighter, but for the cost you have to decide if it is worth it
Old 02-25-2006, 03:09 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

the Jl is fiberglass the subthump is pressboard. I bought the subthump. I've seen stealth boxes for other vehicles made of fiberglass and wood. These are selling with an arc sub in it for $600. They sit under seats in suv's. The subthump box is very nice. I put a BA G5 in it. The amp rack from them is a little deceiving. Its mounting surfaces is small for big amps. The pictures you see are small amps. My amp is freaking huge and according to the dimensions is should fit. It does but crosses that gap in the center of the rack making a bridge. It should be fine I think. They have a larger rack but it wouldnt make a difference in my case.
Attached Thumbnails stealthbox: JL vs. subthump-p1010011.jpg   stealthbox: JL vs. subthump-p1010012.jpg  

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 02-25-2006 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

I have the jl stealth box and I am very happy with it. I did however get a good deal on it, minus the sub. I bought the sub seperate on-line (10w3v2) and I think the two work great together. I haven't heard a sub-thump box, but everyone who has them seems very happy, and the price is right.
Old 02-26-2006, 04:47 PM
11 Second Club

I have the subthump t-top box and it constuction quality is excellent.
Old 02-26-2006, 05:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok, so I just found out what mdf is, Medium Density Fiberboard (sorry but I didn't know what it meant), and the JL is fiberglass. So I'm guessing it probably doesn't matter what material the box is made of, since most people are happy with the sound/quality of both of them. But I actually just saw that I can't order the subthump box here in Canada. But I'll keep on looking for a used one, either JL or subthump, so let me know if anyone has one for sale.
Thanks for the input, post up if anyone else has an opinion on either one.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the subthump drivers side stealth box. I have a Alpine sub in there and it hits pretty darn hard for me.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

JL Advantages.
JLs box is fiberglass which is much stronger then wood.
JL box is also lighter (fiberglass vs MDF particle board)
The sub is also in the correct airspace

Subthump Advantages.
Subthumb allows you to choose whatever sub you want.
Cheaper then the JL route (depending on which sub you choose)
Old 02-26-2006, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
JL Advantages.
JLs box is fiberglass which is much stronger then wood.
JL box is also lighter (fiberglass vs MDF particle board)
The sub is also in the correct airspace

Subthump Advantages.
Subthumb allows you to choose whatever sub you want.
Cheaper then the JL route (depending on which sub you choose)
Does the part about airspace matter at all? Does it make a difference in sound?
And does anyone know (or think) how much weight diffenerce there is?
Old 02-26-2006, 09:08 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

the subthump box is light. I'm sure the jl is lighter. Airspace is close to the same in both. Not sure what the jl comes with but you can out any 10" you want in the subthump. My guess that JL wont put a huge driver in there ? Not sure if thats the airspace answer or not. My guess is subthump cant be hassled shipping out of country is to why they wont do it. Their motto seems to be give me the money, dont bother me, no I'm not going out of my way for you, your just a customer. Thats what I get from their website anyway. Far to much attitude about phone calls.

If you want my subthump box pm me. Its new, never been used. I can get another. It will cost you 46.50 to ship slow boat to CANADA though. Thats a set price pretty much, I've shipped up there before.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the all input. I think I'm just going to go with the subthump because it's alot cheaper and most people seem happy with it.

99blancoSS - I actually just found a guy on here selling his subthump box, so I'm going to buy his. Thanks anyway though.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Another vote for Subthump. I ordered my L7 from there about a year ago. The order was mixed with a circular sub design and of course wasnt correct for my solarbaric. Email a guy at Subthump and he took care of it. =). He even did some porting behind the box, which he claimed he usually didnt do. Dont have any comparison to how a stealth box 10' should sound like, but this baby is a slumper. Knocks pretty hard with no rattle at all.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am using the Subthump Stealthbox and it is a lot better than the MTX Thunderform that I once had. Later on, I added the passenger side stealth box and hits great with 2 Alpine 10's. The boxes fit perfect and look as if the car came that way. Both have ~0.6 cubic feet of airspace. I also used the scan-speak aperiodic vents on the rear of both boxes, right behind the driver. These aid in making the box bigger. I purchased these from Parts Express and you will need to drill and 110mm hole in the box.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:31 AM
TECH Resident

i have the subthump and love it, i put a visonik 10" 700 watt in it and it hits hard. my notrils tickle when i breathe in. and install is really easy, took me no time, just had to cut out a little bit, but i've had to do that for every box I have had. not too big a deal if you have a sawzaw.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the reason that the stealthbox is so much better in my mind is because JL puts unheard of amounts of research and development into their boxes. Also consider this when JL makes that box they also make it for a particular subwoofer that they design, wether it be something as small as a single 8" or even in some of them u can pick up a 13Wv2. Regardless...you can say whatever you want about subthump boxes being really nice etc... but the only problem is that they arent designed with a specific speaker in mind. They might build the box so that it is somewhere w/in the parameters of airspace that ur particular sub requires... but they dont take into account the amount of displacement of air that the sub takes up when it is put into the box. Im telling you w/ five years of professional installation experience under my belt aswell as having owned both subthump boxes and JL. Subthump is nice, but JL is without a doubt better. Call JL up...the best way to find the answer to this question isnt to talk to a bunch of hobby oriented audio enthusiasts.

Quick Reply: stealthbox: JL vs. subthump