Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Kenwood GPS :: integration-time!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kenwood GPS :: integration-time!

OK, I've tried to avoid posting a new thread by reading all the thread i could find, searching all the words i could search, and reading the entire FAQ and still haven't found a CLEAR definitibe solution to my problem.

I have a Kenwood flipscreen dvd unit with a seperate GPS brain, and 5.1 surroud sound processor.

I want to hook this up with the existing speakers if possible.

I have learned that the Monsoon system powers half the speakers from the HU and half from the amp in the rear pass. side of the car.

I have looked around and found only one possible adapter that would allow me to plug into the existing speakers, the METRA 70-2038. This appears to bypass the amp in the rear, so i think it forces you to rewire all those speakers up to the HU.

Is there any way to hook this up without rewiring the speakers or bypassing the amp?

Isn't there a problem with powering the speakers with anything but the monsoon amp? (because of the different ohms)

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 03-02-2006, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

bump bump!!!!
Old 03-02-2006, 05:10 PM
On The Tree

little help please?
Old 03-02-2006, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

you guys have been NO help...

So.... is this the answer to my question?

Can I replace the headunit with an aftermarket and keep the rest of the Monsoon system?

Absolutely. Its a simple install. All you need is a mounting kit , wiring harness and antenna adaptor. All can be found at your local stereo shop. If you are using a din and a half radio then you wont need the mounting kit. Heres the part numbers for all three.

Mounting kit--Metra 99-3300 (Firebirds use 99-3009...its a better fit)
Wiring harness- Metra 70-1858
Antenna adaptor- Metra 40GM10
is the installation of the Wiring harness- (Metra 70-1858) a real pain in the *** or is it a simple one-plug sort of deal?