Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Found the perfect sail panel replacement speakers.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found the perfect sail panel replacement speakers.

I just installed some Pioneer premier TS-M7PRS speakers in the sail panels and they sound so good. the bass is awesome and the sound is crystal clear. they are pricey but they are worth every cent. i am considering buying another set to put in my front doors. my alpine sps -170a speakers are dirt compared to the pioneers. anyone else run these pioneers? hitechgent did you ever get yours installed?
Old 03-02-2006, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, finally got them in last Sunday afternoon. I like them.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Where did you pick them up and for how much. I looked around, and found a whole bunch of prices ranging from $169 to $300. Not looking to get spend top end and buy some of these sites that may be unreliable.

And is it two or four wire hookup? I'm kind of a mess when it comes to the whole car stereo scene. Well, I really wasn't a mess until I owned a Monsoon.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I picked mine up at Audio-n-more.com for $200 shipped. I tried 2 other places that didn't have them in stock before I ordered from these guys.

2 wire hook-up. Aren't most speakers? lol
Old 03-03-2006, 07:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

like i said im thinkin about puttin some in the front doors and just running them off my h/u but im not sure how it would sound.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:37 AM
On The Tree

Aren't those 4ohm? I thought the sail panel speakers were 2ohm.

edit: Unless the speakers are DVC 4ohm, then they could be wired as 2ohm.

Last edited by Second_Infinity; 03-03-2006 at 09:09 AM.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Second_Infinity
Aren't those 4ohm? I thought the sail panel speakers were 2ohm.

edit: Unless the speakers are DVC 4ohm, then they could be wired as 2ohm.
Yes, they are 4 ohm single voice coil. And no they are not half as loud as stock, just because your sucking less current from the amplifier. Electrical power is not the same as sound power. The Pioneers are more efficient speakers than the 2 ohm stockers.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Okie02
like i said im thinkin about puttin some in the front doors and just running them off my h/u but im not sure how it would sound.
First, you'd need to add tweeters, as the TS-M7PRS's are only midbasses. Second, I'd imagine they would be considerably more quiet without the amplifier driving them, unless your running an aftermarket H/U capable of 40W-50W per channel. In which case, I'd dump the Monsoon amp completely and run all speakers off the H/U.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:57 PM
12 Second Club

How much better than stock do they sound? The 62.7i's I added in the sailpanels sound better than stock, but figured if they do work really good I could move the 62.7i's to the hatch and add the Pioneers to the sailpanels. Not sure if it would be worth the $ since I have 2 10's for the bass and probably wouldn't see a improvement unless I was running around without my subs in the car.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HiTechGent
First, you'd need to add tweeters, as the TS-M7PRS's are only midbasses. Second, I'd imagine they would be considerably more quiet without the amplifier driving them, unless your running an aftermarket H/U capable of 40W-50W per channel. In which case, I'd dump the Monsoon amp completely and run all speakers off the H/U.
what do you mean by "you would have to add tweeters" if the front doors already have tweeters?
Old 03-03-2006, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm, Alpine SPS-170A for the doors, these Pioneers for the sail panels.

I guess it's time to spend money again.... doh!
Old 03-04-2006, 03:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 5.3litre
what do you mean by "you would have to add tweeters" if the front doors already have tweeters?
Okie02 was talking about replacing full-range Alpines with these pioneer midbasses.

I guess my answer really only applies if he either has a Camaro (which doesn't have seperate tweeters in the doors) or if he has eliminated the seperate tweeters in his Firebird (meaning he's using the Alpine's tweeters anyway). Being an SS owner, I sometimes forget about the F'bird configuration.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

On paper, my second choice for a replacement sail midbass is the Audiobahn AMD60Q's which can be had for as low as $80 a pair.

Unfortunately, I've not actually heard these. And I have not yet seen a post from someone who has installed these.
Old 03-04-2006, 04:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

all a 2 door car needs is a nice set of components in the front doors ran off a 2 ch. amp and one 10 or 12in sub. (ran off another amp or off a shared amp w/ speakers)
Old 03-06-2006, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is good info for those just wanting to upgrade/replace the sail's that tend to blow out all the time.

For the doors, It needs to be a Mid-range speaker. Not just a Mid-bass speaker.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

On paper, my second choice for a replacement sail midbass is the Audiobahn AMD60Q's which can be had for as low as $80 a pair.

Unfortunately, I've not actually heard these. And I have not yet seen a post from someone who has installed these.

I would not recommend audiobahns
Old 03-07-2006, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

I found the Pioneer speaker on OnlineCarStereo.com
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=14547 for $185 shipped.

My question is...are these sold in pairs or is it $185 for each speaker?
Old 03-07-2006, 10:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They are sold in pairs. Make sure you call them before ordering. The Pioneers were not in stock when I ordered mine. Waste a couple of weeks, before they told me.

Took me three different order attempts from three different vendors before I got them in my hands.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:33 AM
On The Tree

Yes, they are 4 ohm single voice coil. And no they are not half as loud as stock, just because your sucking less current from the amplifier. Electrical power is not the same as sound power. The Pioneers are more efficient speakers than the 2 ohm stockers.
I'm not an audio expert and just trying to understand what you're saying here. I was reading this article on Basic Car Audio. Using Ohm's law they calculated that with a 13.8 V source, (like a car with Alternator running), a 2-Ohm impedance speaker will pull 96 watts of power whereas a 4-Ohm impedance speaker will pull 48 watts of power.

However, as you said, sound level is not directly proportional to input power levels. There is some really detailed info about that on this page. Basically they are saying that sound dB is not "halved" when input power is halved.

Also, and this is probably most important, they say that actual sound output can be influenced by factors other than impedance, such as the speaker efficiency. So, in the end, I think that HiTechGent is saying that since the Pioneer speakers are so much more efficient than the stocks, that minimizes perceived sound loss due to the higher impedance of the Pioneers.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Exactly. A speaker is nothing more than a device to convert electrical signals into sound vibrations. How well the speaker does this can vary greatly between speaker types, models, and manufacturers. One speaker may require you to drive 100W of electrical power thru it just to get it to produce a whisper. While another will make your ears bleed at 100W.

Quick Reply: Found the perfect sail panel replacement speakers.