Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Whats up with this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 10:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats up with this?

Ok, so today i went to bestbuy to listen to some of these speakers i have heard about on here to replace my door speakers in my 2000 SS. I listened to the Alpine SPS-17C2's and they sounded ok, but i was somewhat disapointed with all the hype these have gotten on this site. Then i listened to the Alpine SPR-17lp and they sounded a little better. Then i tried the Rockford Fosgate T162C's and they sounded amazingly louder, clearer, crisper, and just all around better than the Alpines.

Now, i was quite surprised, so i thought i would ask you guys if anyone has used these Rockford speakers (and if they would even wire to a monsoon stereo) and can tell me if there are any good in the car. Or, if maybe there was something wrong with the Alpines at the store and someone could tell me that they have heard both these speakers and the Alpines sound better.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:30 PM
Launching!

anyone? ttt
Old 03-19-2006, 11:57 PM
Staging Lane

I have rockfords in the front and I'm pretty impressed. I'm feeding them shitty wattage from my HU, but they seem to do ok. My friend in his bimmer put Alpine's in back and Rockfords up front.......he says he going to replace the Alpine's soon, because they can't keep up with the Rockfords.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The Alpines are recommended as a speaker upgrade for the Camaro stock Monsoon system because they are inexpensive, are easy to bi-wire (to install them in the stock configuration), and have very good sensitivity, so you don't have to fade them forward to balance the sound if your still using the stock sail speakers. Remember, the Monsoon does not put out a tremendous amount of power. I'm content with the Alpines in my doors. They are an improvement over the stock speakers. But there probably are better sounding speakers out there.

Last edited by HiTechGent; 03-20-2006 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you plan on re-wiring or dumping the entire monsoon system, the speakers you use don't matter.

But if you are planning on just upgrading the door speakers and running all stock monsoon outside of that, you just need to make sure you can bi-amp the speakers. Many co-axials are made with the tweeter feeds poked through the woofer cone, spliced off the mains, so there is no easy way to wire up the woofer and tweeter seperately. The Alpines just happen to be one of the best options for the reasons HiTech listed. Plus, they are widely available.

Components are an obvious choice, but this gets shot down because you are then pairing $150+ front speakers to a factory monsoon setup, which doesn't make a lot of sense. Most people looking to do this swap don't want to drop that kind of cash.

Personally, (I have them) I think the Alpines have a slightly harsh tweeter, and a fairly weak midrange. They would not be my first choice in an ideal situation, but I do think they offer a good value (for the $55 a pair pricing).

Looking forward, if you add subs I can offer that thier sound cleans up quite nicely if you run them with a ~60Hz high pass crossover. But other speakers would share the same benefit.

Speakers are very subjective. As long as you can make it work, buy what your ears like. Just don't buy them at Best Buy. Anything car stereo stuff you can buy there, you can probably get 2 of for the same price if you shop around.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:08 PM
Launching!

Oh, i know not to buy at best buy, i just went there cause you can listen to the different speakers. i just wanted to get an idea of how they would sound.