Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

small wirre to alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 08:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default small wire to alternator?

what is the small, single, 16g wire, going to the plug in harness on the alternator? Pulled my alternator to have it checkd the other day, and the wire pulled out of the harness, can't get it back in. Ever since then, my alternator hasn't been charging. Supposedly, the alt. tested just fine? I thought it was for the voltmeter, but it works fine?

Last edited by 30th TA 0219; 04-08-2006 at 09:25 AM.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:42 AM
TECH Resident

what color is the wire?
Old 04-08-2006, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CashMoney
what color is the wire?
pink?
I don't remember off-hand, the car isn't with me right now, due to it's not charging status.
It's the only wire on the alt, other than the postive to the battery wire.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:17 AM
Teching In

From what I have read it is the exciter wire. The alternator won't charge without it. I know I did the same thing, I ended up pulling the base out of where the original wire was (in the connector) and being able to get a 16ga solid copper wire to at least make contact and then shrink wrapped the connection.

It seems to be working so far, I can't quite figure out what type of connector it is (other than a delphi - though it does not look like a weatherpack) so I haven't bothered to completely redo the connection.

I would be interested to see if anyone knows what type of connector this is and where to get it.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

LOL I did the SAME thing. the metal female end didn't come out usable, So I'm going to the junkyard and pulling a hraness from something and redoing it. I guess that's why my alt tested good, yet it's not charging ****!
THANKS!
Old 05-20-2006, 05:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 02dirtybird
From what I have read it is the exciter wire. The alternator won't charge without it. I know I did the same thing, I ended up pulling the base out of where the original wire was (in the connector) and being able to get a 16ga solid copper wire to at least make contact and then shrink wrapped the connection.

It seems to be working so far, I can't quite figure out what type of connector it is (other than a delphi - though it does not look like a weatherpack) so I haven't bothered to completely redo the connection.

I would be interested to see if anyone knows what type of connector this is and where to get it.
You can get that connector at the dealer.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by brad8266
You can get that connector at the dealer.
What he said.
I bought the standard weatherpack from the dealer that comes with 4 wires sticking out and cut the extra 3 wires off.