Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Driver Side Window doesn't work Passenger side is fine after clutch install

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 07:25 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver Side Window doesn't work Passenger side is fine after clutch install

My car has been sitting on jacks for a month now waiting for my clutch to come in. Finally got around to the doing the install last night, and the battery was dead. We jumped it, then tried rolling the windows down to listen to everything and the Driver side window doesn't move at all, like it's not getting any power. The passenger side window works normally though. WTF could have happened while it was just sitting there. I'll check fuses when I get home from work, it was too late last night to do it.

Also, I have a viper alarm that can roll the windows down and tried using that, but only the passenger side would go.

Last edited by kapedogg; 07-13-2006 at 08:15 AM. Reason: More info...
Old 07-13-2006, 08:28 AM
TECH Addict

The window motors are notorious for going out.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:32 AM
12 Second Club

The motors are only about 6 months old and everything was perfect when I parked the car in the shop a month ago, so I know it can't be that. I'm guessing something electrical, maybe from jumping it with a big charger/jumper unit on wheels my grandpa has.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:34 AM
TECH Addict

pull out the voltmeter and start checking the connections on the back of the switch
Old 07-13-2006, 09:36 AM
12 Second Club

That's the plan, but I don't exactly know what I'm looking for. I just thought it was odd that it works one day, the car sits for a month, then doesn't work, plus I assume that the two windows share a lot of wiring, so there would be an easy explanation. I was wondering if someone might have a quick thought on what may have happened, or been through this before, or advice like "hey it's probably this cause of this, so check this real quick"
Old 07-13-2006, 01:28 PM
12 Second Club

I went home at lunch, it still didn't work, I tried it a couple more times, and suddenly it works just fine. Normal speed, no stopping and starting, just perfectly smooth operation like when I parked it a month ago. I'll post updates if it comes back and I figure out what/if anything is wrong with it. Thanks as always guys
Old 07-25-2006, 02:15 PM
12 Second Club

So, I just got back from a 1 week vacation and the driver side isn't working again! I hope it will magically fix itself like last time. Any advice guys?
Old 07-25-2006, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

as soon as you find something out let me know too....i have the exact same ******* problem. the weird thing is that the driver side motor was just recently replaced. the passenger side still works fine. i checked the fuse, and it seems to be fine. anyone else have any suggestions?
Old 07-26-2006, 01:04 PM
Teching In

I had the same problem and found out that all it was the motor plug wasn't all the way plugged in. happened when i took the door panel off the plug got pulled a little tight. check that out at the window motor itself.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:26 PM
12 Second Club

Checked all wiring connections, seem fine, fuse seems fine, I guess I'll have to try a new motor but this one is only a year old at most and had no signs of slowing down or going out.

What I did find was that when I clicked the driver side window down button the motor would make an electrical clicking sound then a 3"x4"x2" black box under the dash in the middle of the car that was in a plastic "holster". Someone told me it was the express down relay(Following number sets were on it 62186, 52615, 12182126, EPIC2797). Could this be the problem? Or is it supposed to do it. I suppose I'll get a new motor today, plug it in and see if that one operates. One more note, I had a Viper 791XV installed with a DHT 530T Module as well. The viper remote does work the passenger side still and worked for those few days the driver side worked before my vacation. Anyway, the remote gets the exact same reaction as the switch in the door

Last edited by kapedogg; 07-29-2006 at 02:52 PM.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:56 PM
12 Second Club

Replaced the motor today, and all is well. Can't believe it went bad while the car sat for a month!

Quick Reply: Driver Side Window doesn't work Passenger side is fine after clutch install