Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Keep Radio Presets with Battery Disconnect

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2023, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Keep Radio Presets with Battery Disconnect

I have yet to be able to find an answer for this one.

I have to tear apart my stereo wiring in the first place as the wiring is a mess and no matter what I do everytime the key shuts off the stereo stays on until I manually shut it off.
Gotta be something about how its wired together to the main harness from the fuses.

My real question though is, and im sure not because the shut off needs to kill all power, has anyone ever got there stereo presets to stay with a battery disconnect installed on their car?

Its a Drag Street car so I like some luxuries lol

-Cody
Old 04-17-2023, 10:02 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Assuming you're talking about an aftermarket head unit in the Camaro in your signature, it sounds like you have the battery (constant) power and the ignition controlled wires reversed... that's the most common cause of the symptoms you describe. Depending on the make and model of the aftermarket HU, you may not have to do anything at all because it stores your settings in non-volatile memory kind of like a flash drive. There are adapters you can get to connect a 9V battery to your electrical system, but those are generally meant for use when replacing your battery. I can't think of how you could connect it to the radio while you unplug its power. I suppose you could splice it into the radio harness before unplugging from the adapter harness from the factory wiring, but I'd guess that no adapter harness was used because it would be pretty difficult to cross wire the power when using an adapter harness - you only have to match wires color for color and then plug into the factory connector.
Old 04-17-2023, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

I am almost positive you are right that there is no adapter harness and they just cut and wired.

Sounds like I will be picking up a new connector and harness.

Quick Reply: Keep Radio Presets with Battery Disconnect