Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Where the hell is my horn relay?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 09:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where the hell is my horn relay?

02 Firehawk. My horns work on the alarm, but nothing when I hit the steering wheel. Its in a prior flood car, Im guessing the relay, but it seems to be hiding. Im a dumbass when it somed to electrical, so be specific and dumb it out for me.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:53 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

The horn relay is located in junction box #1 under the hood on the left fender well. The junction box cover is labeled so you'll be able to see which relay is for the horns.

However, the relay isn't your problem judging by your description. The horns are powered by the relay regardless of whether the alarm or the steering wheel activated them. So if they work at all (such as from the alarm) then it can't be the relay causing the problem. My guess would be the switch contacts or the slip ring in the steering wheel.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:32 PM
Launching!

I knew someone would have some insight. Now Ill have to tackle taking the steering wheel apart.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

i had the same problem and was gonna fix it...untill i got nailed by a suburban.....just put in a train horn..ha...
Old 08-15-2006, 09:54 PM
Launching!

I took apart the steering wheel, what a mess. All the contacts were rusted. I cleaned them up, WD40d them, put it all back together, still nothing. Instead of going to you every time, is there somewhere I can go to get an exploded diagram of the horn controls? I have a Haynes manual, but it has every wiring diagram but the one for the horn. Im not sure what the slip ring is, but Im going back in the morning to take it all apart again, and dig deeper this time.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

you can buy new pressure pads
Old 08-16-2006, 07:57 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Last69
I took apart the steering wheel, what a mess. All the contacts were rusted. I cleaned them up, WD40d them, put it all back together, still nothing. Instead of going to you every time, is there somewhere I can go to get an exploded diagram of the horn controls? I have a Haynes manual, but it has every wiring diagram but the one for the horn. Im not sure what the slip ring is, but Im going back in the morning to take it all apart again, and dig deeper this time.
Here is the wiring diagram...

Note the split on the lower right side - the left branch labeled "w/o UA8" is for cars without the alarm system and the right branch is with the alarm system. The main difference is that the BCM can provide the necessary ground for the horn relay when the car has an alarm. Below that there it also splits for Chevrolet and Pontiac. The only important difference there is the color of the wires (red both sides for Camaro, red and yellow for Firebird).

The slip ring is the contact ring between the steering wheel and the steering column. There is a spring loaded contact that rubs on the slip ring so that the horn will work even with the steering wheel turning.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 08-16-2006 at 08:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Where the hell is my horn relay?