Go Back   LS1TECH > CHASSIS, SUSPENSION, APPEARANCE > Stereo & Electronics
Search

Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms

Pre-built sub box for a vert ?

Old 08-28-2006, 10:09 AM   #1
Launching!

Trader Rating: 1
Default Pre-built sub box for a vert ?

Anyone make a box for the trunk of a vert? I have a 2001 z28 convertible, and would like to buy a prebuilt box that fits like factory, but havent been able to find one yet.
Red 2000 Z28 6-Speed (SOLD)
T-Tops, DirectFlo Lid, DeScreened and Ported MAF, FRA, !EGR, !A.I.R. TR55's and MSD 8.5's
4:10's, HPP3, Custom Lowering,
TTII's, 17X9.5 / 17X11 w/ 275's and 315's.
TR 224.1/228.5 .562/.571 111.6 LS
Coated Pacesetters/Custom 3" Offroad Y/Magnaflow
6-SpeedZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 10:33 AM   #2
TECH Apprentice

Trader Rating: 0
Send a message via AIM to firebird5134

That be neat to see a sub box for a vert. Only bad part about subs in a very is when you put the top down sounds like nothing is back there. The top mutes everything.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:27 PM   #3
On The Tree

Trader Rating: 3

I definately bought one on eBay (it was a few years ago tho).. It's definately true that with a vert with subs in the trunk the top mutes the sound.. when I experienced that the first time I was kinda pissed.

This is not my box but.. i found this on google
http://www.subthump.com/acamarovert.htm

Last edited by savethelinoleum; 08-28-2006 at 05:17 PM.
savethelinoleum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 10:01 PM   #4
TECH Addict

Send a message via ICQ to howierd42 Send a message via MSN to howierd42 Send a message via Yahoo to howierd42

I have seen a write up on here where someone took the back seat bottoms out and replaced them with 10s and then the seat back just rests over them so you can't tell there are any subs there at all. I have been playing with a similar idea myself for some time now.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:28 PM   #5
TECH Fanatic

There are tons of threads in the convertible forum about this. Check that forum out, there are tons of options but if you want coupe-like bass with the top down, you have to go through some drastic measures.
JBSlim 4x 8" sub box w/ RF subs, Kenwood HU, Alpine & Infinity Drivers, Memphis Power, and a touch of Dynamat X
todddchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 11:45 AM   #6
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Trader Rating: 1

There are a lot of threads for sure. I went the trunk route for now and I might make a box to mount on a rear seat this winter. Here is what I have now.
BJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 04:50 PM   #7
On The Tree

I'm running a JBSlim box that tucks in on the top shelf and doesn't interfere with the top going down and I get to keep the trunk. Max driver size it 8" and kicks pretty good with the top up. When down you lose some obviously but it's way better than stock so I can't complain. Here's a link to JB's box...

http://members.aol.com/jbslim003/myhomepage/sale.html

2000 Arctic White SS convertible
BigRedZag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 07:12 PM   #8
TECH Fanatic

Looks really nice, man. I betcha you could sell that box to fund whatever it is you have in mind.

Just know what you are getting into. There was a guy that mounted a 15" behind the driver's seat. I think that's pretty much what you'd need to do to get coupe-level bass in a vert. Sux.

Back seats are so damn cheap I've considered buying a seat back and giving something a whirl with that. Along the lines of essentially a box covered up by the factory seat donor material. Putting the sub on the driver's side you could keep the passenger side near stock usable, and with a good enough grille the driver's side would be ok in a pinch. Not sure it'd work but if I had a winter garage I'd probably try it.

I don't want anything sticking out visibly with the top down parked.

My JB Slim box works pretty well but I picked bad driver's for it. And although you can feel the bass with the top down, the output is still destroyed by the top being down.

RF1's are terribly inefficient (bad) and not good for the small enclosure (worse). I think eventually it'll bother me enough that I'll swap in better suited drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJM
There are a lot of threads for sure. I went the trunk route for now and I might make a box to mount on a rear seat this winter. Here is what I have now.
JBSlim 4x 8" sub box w/ RF subs, Kenwood HU, Alpine & Infinity Drivers, Memphis Power, and a touch of Dynamat X
todddchi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4x, 8, box, boxs, build, built, camaro, convertible, enclosure, jb, jbslim, pre, shelf, slim, z28