Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

New Amp Rack Design. Need Advice from Pros

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 02:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default New Amp Rack Design. Need Advice from Pros

So I have this idea for a new amp rack. It will be a large piece of wood on the gas tank. Special metal brackets have been built and a square tube from is tacked together. In the center will be a PC mobo which is the main source for all the music, video, navigation, internet, etc...

3 amps will be along the back and there will be a digital processor and some crossovers visable from the front and on either side of the mobo. I mocked up a cover from cardboard that shows the approximate size and shape as well as where the windows and fans will be located.

There is extra room around the components that will be used for wiring, hard drives, PSU, fuses, etc... These will be covered over so as not to be seen.

The cardboard cover will be made from wood and either stained or else covered in fabric. Maybe some suede. A fabric will reduce the amount of work by hiding flaws and seams.

I haven't done any design work on the subs, but there will be 2 12's in a sealed enclosure of some sort in the far back.

Here is the metal frame that bolts in and is made of 1/8" plate. I designed it to hold the amps in a frontal collision so everything is heavy duty. The side panels fit right over the top of them without binding.

Here is the frame with the amps.

Here is the cover and how some of the gear will look.

I also found some fans for the 2 holes on top. Since I did not want to see the frame of the fan I needed some that turned backwards or else had the blades turned the other direction. I found one fan with that design. It's an Arctic Cooling 120mm. Once installed you will only see the fan blades through the holes and it will blow up, not down like all other fans.

MISC INFO:
There will be a 10.4" touchscreen in the dash and some lights in the amp rack.
The wooden base back there will be stained and cleared.
The top of the cover will be level of course, but it looks tilted up in the back in these photos.
No visabilty is lost.
There is plenty of air space for the subs to fire over the top back edge so they will not be restricted in any way.
The amps will be covered with windows as well and air will be circulated over the fronts. I may also make new rear panels for the amps and mount a fan to circulate air over the cuircuts boards as well.

I still need to figure out where to run all the wiring into and out of the rack. I think I can make some holes through the side of the plates and some matching holes or notches in the bottom of the side panels. I was trying to avoid cutting those plastic side panels if possible.

I just wanted to get some thoughts on the project. Anyone?

Last edited by JasonWW; 09-09-2006 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

This will be an orgy of electronics inside hence I may name the car the "Digital Trans Am".

I'm probably going to use real plate glass for all the windows as I think Plexi looks cheap amd scratches easily. This opens the opportunity for me to do some custom acid etching on the glass panels.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like an awesome project!! Got some great ideas cant wait to see some pics when the box comes together
Old 09-10-2006, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

only think id change is instead of having 2 exhaust fans have an intake and exhaust so to circulate the air a little better.

everything else looks like its gonna come out pretty nice
Old 09-10-2006, 06:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by davidfre21
only think id change is instead of having 2 exhaust fans have an intake and exhaust so to circulate the air a little better.

everything else looks like its gonna come out pretty nice
2 exhaust will move double the air. I didn't point out the air inlets along the bottom. All the air flow will be carefully controlled. The CPU runs extremely cool. So much so the stock fans stays off most of the time and when it does come on, it's a slow speed. The only thing that would really get hot is the amps and they've been running OK with cloth completely covering them for the last 3 years. So no worries about heat. Everything will run cool.

What do you think I could make the cover out of?
Wood
Plastic
Sheetmetal
Fiberglass?

Think it would look good covered in fabric, maybe like suede in a soft gray color? I'm planning to change the material in the door panels as well as maybe a seat insert with a lighter gray color so it would make sense to have the anp rack covered in the same material.

I still have about 3 cubic feet of gear I need to stow away. I guess I might build an enclosure in the rear seat area to hold it all. Or I could put the rear seat in and fab up some kind of temporary holder for it all. I don't really have a clue as to that part.

Last edited by JasonWW; 09-10-2006 at 06:24 PM.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Looks good so far but cooling that computer will take a little more then two fans.
Think about how hot your car is when you get in it on a summers day, it will only get hotter once its on and in use.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

also, since heat rises two exaust fans blowing up with vents at the bottom would provide better cooling then on inlet and one exaust.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
Looks good so far but cooling that computer will take a little more then two fans.
Think about how hot your car is when you get in it on a summers day, it will only get hotter once its on and in use.
The PC needs little to no cooling at all. It's been running in my car all summer (black TA in TX) and the CPU fan cycles on and off and runs at a reduced rpm when it is on. I can touch the CPU heatsink and it doesn't feel warm at all. One exhaust fan up top would be plenty, but my original plan was to run 2 identical exhaust fans mainly for looks.

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
also, since heat rises two exaust fans blowing up with vents at the bottom would provide better cooling then on inlet and one exaust.
That's basically what I said in post #5.

To everyone else, COOLING WILL NOT BE AN ISSUE. It's the rest of the stuff I need help on.

If you want more info on why my AMD 3000+ runs at room temperature, there is more info here:
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...2&postcount=47

Here's a quote if you don't want to follow the link:

In case anyone does not know, the new 90nm AMD Semprons are much cooler than the earlier 130nm cores. The desktop versions are about 30w max at stock 1.4v voltage. They also undervolt really well, but it is not necessary. The 3000+ and faster versions have AMD's "Cool and Quite" technology. The CPU can throttle down when full speed is not needed. Plus this mobo has very good fan control in the BIOS and with the software, has even more fan control. This thing runs so cool with the stock HSF that the CPU fan does not even come on. Nights around here have been in the 60-70 range and the heatsink barely gets warm with the fan off! If it does warm up to my preset temp, the fan will turn on at reduced speed which can be controlled in the software. If it gets really warm (I chose 140*F) the fan will turn on 100%, but I don't think it will ever do that. Maybe in the summer time. All in all, I'm very impressed with this CPU/mobo combo. The only sound at all is the HDD. I kind of want to pull this thing out and use it in the house. Also, If anyone thinks the 1.8Ghz is not enough for them, these CPU's have been known to overclock to 2.3-2.4Ghz (about 4000+) with stock voltage. I don't need to do that as the stock 3000+ is more than enough for my needs as well as future needs.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Because I need so much space for my junk (tool box, lifting blocks, etc...) I may have to remove the whole rear seat and build compartments back there. This may have an effect on the stereo install.

I'm considering scraping this whole design and starting from scratch. The new design will include enough storage space for my junk and keep it hidden for a clean look. I also need to consider the T-top storage. I haven't had room for them the last few years so I left them at home for short trips. It sure would be nice to have a place to stow them in the car. It would have to be in the backseat area.

Anyone seen any storage devices for T-tops? Or storage compartment ideas?

Oh yea, I also need to make sure I have room for one of my big ole 315 tires if I ever get a flat. It would need to fit in the car somewhere.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:59 PM
Staging Lane

are you going to use a seperate power supply for the comp. or are you going to run it off the battery?
Old 09-16-2006, 04:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by sweetask1ng
are you going to use a seperate power supply for the comp. or are you going to run it off the battery?
Both actually. I have a DC-DC PSU that has a startup and shutdown controller built in. All the PC stuff runs off of it. It's called an Opus 150.
http://store.mp3car.com/ProductDetai...Code=PWR%2D001
Old 09-17-2006, 12:24 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What will be your input device for the computer?

Wireless keyboard of some sort?
Old 09-17-2006, 12:54 AM
Staging Lane

sweet idea!
Old 09-17-2006, 01:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by GPz1100
What will be your input device for the computer?

Wireless keyboard of some sort?
I mainly use the steering wheel buttons right now, but I will be installing a 10.4" touchscreen LCD once I relocate the climate controls. I also have a credit card sized remote and if need be I can plug in a mini keyboard or trackball.

I mainly need to find room for everything that looks and functions well. Has anyone seen an f-body or any hatchback where the rear seat area was used?
Old 09-17-2006, 01:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

For those that want more f-body carpc info I started a thread over here.
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63949
Old 09-17-2006, 11:35 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can find some camaro/fbird squad cars to look at (or pics) that would give you an idea how the equipment is arranged.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by GPz1100
If you can find some camaro/fbird squad cars to look at (or pics) that would give you an idea how the equipment is arranged.
Are you talking about police cars? I don't see the connection at all.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well, I scrapped this whole project. I decided I want to use the rear storage well for my day to day work routine, so starting over from scratch. I'm pulling the back seat and extending things back there. More info can be found here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...1&page=1&pp=20

Luckily I can use some of the steel parts I fabricated for the new install.

I'll try and get a MOD to close this thread, until then please don't reply here. Go to the new thread I posted. Thanks.

Quick Reply: New Amp Rack Design. Need Advice from Pros