Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Best place to Mount an amp in a vert?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 09:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best place to Mount an amp in a vert?

Best place to Mount an amp in a vert? Also, there is a high pitched whining sound when my system is on. The tone of the whine raises and lowers depending on my RPM's. I've never heard anything like that anyone have any advice??
Old 09-15-2006, 10:23 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

I put mine in the spare tire. First I flipped the spare around. Then I made a board to attach the amp to that fitted into the spare. The board isn't shown in this photo, but it tucks in as shown. I used large tie wraps to tie the spare in place rather than use the original large bolt. I just keep side cutters in the trunk. Everything fits under the factory cover.

The full install is here
Old 09-15-2006, 10:38 PM
Staging Lane

What about the subbox? Whered you mount the subs?
Old 09-16-2006, 10:29 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

You didn't say what the amp was for. The amp I showed powers my front speakers. Check my signature for my subwoofer install, its actually in the bottom of my trunk. There are lots of convertible sub woofer threads if you want more.

The whine in your speakers is most commonly caused by your alternator. Either your equipment has inadequate filtering which was much more common years ago or possibly the alternator diode pack is going. The alternator generates 3 phase power which rectified to DC and a capacitor flattens the remaining ripple. If a diode starts going bad or the capacitor dies, the ripple gets bigger than what the audio equipment can deal with.