Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

polk audio db650 6-1/2" coaxial speakers

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default polk audio db650 6-1/2" coaxial speakers

anyone ever used these before i got a set put up awhile back and forgot about them and now im needing a pair in the camaro thinking of just changing out the entire speaker setup but would like to keep the headuint stock dont want no thiefs busting in my ride , might add some bass in the back with one of those stealth boxes latr on wit ha amp to power it seperatly anyhow is it ok to use these for my door and use a set of sps-170a's for my back seat speakers and im kinda if'y on the sailpanel speakers???? anyone wanna chime in on this let me know thanks ............brandon
Old 11-06-2006, 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had those in my car but they didnt sound good till I put the new head unit in. The stock head just didnt have enough ball I guess...
Old 11-07-2006, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

they are good speakers for the money and due to high efficiency they dont need to be amped.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:19 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

I had the Polks in the doors for a while. They are decent speakers but are not great speakers. I replaced them with MB Quarts in the doors and moved the Polks to the rear. The MBQuarts are far more impressive, but higher priced.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:35 PM
TECH Regular

they are nice stuff for the money, a few of my friends have the polk DB components, but check out www.edesignaudio.com

they are cheaper than the polks and will RAPE them as far as overall sound quality goes.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BJM
I had the Polks in the doors for a while. They are decent speakers but are not great speakers. I replaced them with MB Quarts in the doors and moved the Polks to the rear. The MBQuarts are far more impressive, but higher priced.

WHEN YOU PUT THE POLKS IN THE BACK SEAT SPOTS DID YOU JUST HOOK THEM UP NORMALLY ?? I THINK IM GOING OT CHANGE AND PUT THE POLKS IN THE BACK SEAT SPOTS AND MY ALPINE TYPE S IN THE DOORS ...
Old 11-09-2006, 11:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by like the view?
they are good speakers for the money and due to high efficiency they dont need to be amped.

I would have to say the contrary. They are extremely inefficient. They are are rated at something like 92 efficiency, but If youve heard a set of polks off a head unit, then off an amp, youd see that they are geared towards people who have an external amplifier.

I like to relate the polks as *** opposites to infinities. The polks have more midbass punch that Infinities do not. But polks dont have the highs that Infinities do. SO, in conlclusion, if your running them off the stock amp or even an aftermarket radio, get a nice set of infinities or alpine type S. If you plan on adding an amp, the Polks will outpreform the infinity's.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok so i got a set of polks db coaxial rms 60 watt and a set of alpine type s sps-170a's i also think i got a set of Infinity Kappa 62.7i,255 watt, 2 way speakers with crossovers what would you put in the dorrs, back seats??? keep in mind i like my headunit stock, dont want nobody breaking in to steal crap outta my car as far as some thump or bass i plan on the lil little bypass box that plugs into the back of the headunit for a external amp and plan on putting a drivers side stealth box in there sometime ...let me know your ideas as always i appreciate the info and replies......
Old 11-10-2006, 10:37 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CULATR
WHEN YOU PUT THE POLKS IN THE BACK SEAT SPOTS DID YOU JUST HOOK THEM UP NORMALLY ?? I THINK IM GOING OT CHANGE AND PUT THE POLKS IN THE BACK SEAT SPOTS AND MY ALPINE TYPE S IN THE DOORS ...
I only hooked them up to 2 wires in the harness. I made an amp bypass connector so they were essentially wired straight to the head unit. I amped the front speakers.

I like to relate the polks as *** opposites to infinities. The polks have more midbass punch that Infinities do not. But polks dont have the highs that Infinities do.
This is exactly the difference. I bought some Infinity's, in the store I was taken by their unreal clarity. In the car I was floored by the utter lack of bass and mid-range. I tried the Polks next. The Polks have a huge hump in the midrange (measured using a spectrum analyser), it gives them a warm but quite inaccurate sound.

When I measured the MB Quarts they were really flat, no lumps no bumps. I tried them based on comments on this board and they are as good as their reputation.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BJM
I only hooked them up to 2 wires in the harness. I made an amp bypass connector so they were essentially wired straight to the head unit. I amped the front speakers.

This is exactly the difference. I bought some Infinity's, in the store I was taken by their unreal clarity. In the car I was floored by the utter lack of bass and mid-range. I tried the Polks next. The Polks have a huge hump in the midrange (measured using a spectrum analyser), it gives them a warm but quite inaccurate sound.

When I measured the MB Quarts they were really flat, no lumps no bumps. I tried them based on comments on this board and they are as good as their reputation.

hey between the polks db coaxial rms 60 watt and a set of alpine type s sps-170a's and a set of Infinity Kappa 62.7i,255 watt, 2 way speakers with crossovers which would you put in the front and back you got a pic of the connector you made for the back seat speakers??? any info on this connector guess i need ot make one too for each.........
Old 11-10-2006, 10:51 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CULATR
hey between the polks db coaxial rms 60 watt and a set of alpine type s sps-170a's and a set of Infinity Kappa 62.7i,255 watt, 2 way speakers with crossovers which would you put in the front and back you got a pic of the connector you made for the back seat speakers??? any info on this connector guess i need ot make one too for each.........
I found the Polks quite unable to handle a lot of bass overall so I put them in the rear. If you have a good equalizer you should do better with the Infinitys in the front. I have never tried the Alpines but they seem popular.

Look at the amp bypass adapter here. I bought the connectors at Walmart.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:44 PM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

I saw these Polks (DB650s) in Circuit City today. How are they compared to the stock T/A 10-speaker Monsoon sail panel speakers?

My driver's side sail panel speaker is blown. I want to replace it. To be honest, I find the stock system to be quite acceptable, all it's lacking is a true sub, but I'll add that later. Right now I just want to get back to proper stock sound (or a tick better). I can get a replacement from GMPartsdirect for $45 shipped, or I can spend $100 on a pair of those Polks.

I plan on simply wiring it in just as it was, putting the cover back on and calling it good. The Monsoon is totally stock, and has nothing added or replaced.

Which would be recommended? I do like Polks, and if they have good bass, that's good since the stock amp sends a bass signal to those speakers. But would they sound any deeper or louder than the stockers, and would they survive better?
Old 11-21-2006, 03:53 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HPP
I do like Polks, and if they have good bass, that's good since the stock amp sends a bass signal to those speakers. But would they sound any deeper or louder than the stockers, and would they survive better?
They do not have good bass. They are better than the stock speakers, they have a similar warm sound, they handle more power, but do not have good bass. Think of them as a stock speaker times 1.5.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:57 PM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

Ah. Ok, thanks. That helps, but it also makes me wonder if I want to spend twice the money even more than I already wondered. lol

There is a pair of Sony 6.5s there for about $80. According to the specs they went deeper on the freq response range and also had the same efficiency listed. I can't remember the number/model of the speakers though, unfortunately.

Any thoughts on that, or on Sony speakers in general? I do like Sony, but I've never owned any of their speakers, only electronics.

Quick Reply: polk audio db650 6-1/2" coaxial speakers