Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

sail panel speakers not working

Old 11-19-2006, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default sail panel speakers not working

So, now my sail panels speakers quit working. I dont know too much about the monsoon system. Is there a separate amp for the sail panel speakers? If so, where is it located? Im thinking the amp for them kicked the bucket. thanks.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:31 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya, its in the right rear, next to the spare tire, and yes its a POS, just ditch the monsoon and get a real amp, you can use line level converters of you want to keep the head unit stock
Old 11-19-2006, 11:32 AM
On The Tree

How do i test it to make sure that its bad?
Old 11-20-2006, 08:32 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

The sail panel subs run off the amp in the right quarter panel but so do all the other speakers in a Camaro - so I doubt it's the amp causing the problem. It is quite common to blow the subs, especially if you listen at high volume levels. I think you'll find it's the speakers themselves are the problem.

BTW, it's the head unit and speakers that are POS. The Monsoon amp is actually pretty good.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:10 PM
12 Second Club

My sailpanel speakers gave out too, but sometimes they come back on for a minute or two so I have no clue what is going on. My front speakers are blown so I cant tell if it is the amp or not.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:24 PM
Launching!

I am having the same problem as BLKY2KZ. My sail panel speakers aren't playing anything. I thought it would be the amp too, as I am not hearing ANYTHING (not even distortion), so I dunno if it was the speakers themselves or not. But why would both side speakers die at the same time?
Old 11-30-2006, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

I replaced the amp and im still having the same problem. I turned the radio up and put my ear up to the speaker and heard some crackling. Could it be that the speakers are blown? I cant believe both would go at the same time.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:27 PM
On The Tree

i am having the same problem, i tried replacing the speakers and they did the same thing the monsoons did, nothing but crackle and a little base, and i have plenty of experience installing so yes everything was hooked up right. bought a new monsoon amp and that didnt do it either. best i can guess is a wire got rubbed down and grounded out just havent gone on the search yet. the other 4 speakers work fine, i think this may be my weekend project....
Old 12-07-2006, 06:35 AM
On The Tree

If you figure out whats wrong with yours, let me know, cause im stumped. LOL
Old 12-07-2006, 07:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be the wiring MAYBE. More then likely, it's a blown speaker. If the coil in the speaker is shorted, it'll put that section into protection mode hence no sound and kind of explains the crackling/static like sound.

I would pull the panels, and unplug 1 speaker at a time and see what happens. Try doing like the left one and then turn the radio off/on. Then do the other one.

Or if you have a multimeter, you can check the speaker out by running a resistance check across the leads and push and pull on the cone a little. If resistance is below 1 ohm, it's blow/shorted out. An open wouldn't cause the amp to kill those channel's all together.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

i kno it's an old thread, but did a search and this is what i cam up with, with no solution, i have same probleme(2002 camaro t-top ss), my sail panel speakers are only mumbling sound, i have tried speakers, checked wirring for open and short to ground and resistance. i noticed that the radio suplies power to the amp for the front and rear speakers, does the amp take this and devide it for the sail panel speakers, i am thinking it is the amp. but others in this thread say they change it with no luck. can someone help please.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:17 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

What speakers do you have and what did you try as replacements? The original sail panel speakers are subs that get only low frequency filtered signal from the amp so if they've been replaced with normal coaxial or full-range speakers they will sound terrible.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

they sold me 6.5 coaxial speakers actualy they sold 2 pair , some for my busted front doors speakers. so what should i ask for the sail panels? so from the look of it my amp is not damage.

Last edited by 35th camaro; 03-06-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:57 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Check with Kee Audio (a sponsor here) for their replacement speakers chosen specifically to work with Monsoon systems. Your doors should have components rather than coaxial speakers and your sail panels should have subs. The only thing whoever sold you the coaxials got right was the 6.5" size. Read the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the section for more information.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks for the info, i will return them and get the proper one's, will let you's kno how it turns out when i get them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: sail panel speakers not working