Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Jensen In Dash LCD screens

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 01:37 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jensen In Dash LCD screens

Im looking to install one of those motorized in dash screens, but I dont want to blow a lot of cash on one. I was thinking of buying a used one for around 400 or so, but I just saw this:

http://www.cardomain.com/item/JENVM9311

Its a Jensen. Anyone know if these are any good? Obviously you cant beat the price...
Old 11-29-2006, 02:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

i dont see where you could go wrong at all with that price. **** some regular head units cost more than that. do it. i just might 2.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have never heard anything bad about Jensen and with the name brands most of what you pay for is the name. But just FYI I have a Sony 7" in-dash for sale but I think it is more than what you may be looking to spend. But if you are qurious....
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/608863-f-s-sony-dash-7-touch-screen-dvd-cd.html.
I will take $600 + shipping.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have that model. i say do it. it's cheaper than at walmart. they charge 398 for it. i got mine from jensen direct for 400 or so. i've had it since july, and have had 0 issues. well, ok, one. the right silver button (refer to pic) is a pain or changing anything. songs etc... but if you're a remote junky like me, it's not a big deal. besides, the remote fits perfect in the little cubby by the shifter. i say do it.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm buying the same thing, I like the Ipod controls. The one you are looking at doesn't have the touch screen though...this one does.

http://www.cardomain.com/item/JENVM9311TS
Old 11-29-2006, 03:17 PM
TECH Regular

cool; think ill be getting it then. looks good, connects directly to the ipod too. anyone knows if you can play video directly from the ipods?
Old 11-29-2006, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just to let you know, they have the touch screen model of the jensen your looking at for about the same price as the non touch screen model on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-JENSEN-VM931...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 11-29-2006, 10:03 PM
On The Tree

well, the only problem i see with one of these is, upgrading your sound system is very much limited when you add an flip out deck. and a 400 dollar one doesnt seem to help that problem.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not dissing on anyone who has that model or anything, but working at Circuit City and selling those in dash units, Im not too impressed by them. Ive seen people buy one and have it back in not much longer getting it replaced. Theres been a few occasions where people have returned them within a month after they bought them. They are cool units and all, but Ive seen too many problems that has convinced me to steer clear of Jensen flipouts. Just my .02
Old 11-29-2006, 10:41 PM
Teching In

why did they return them?? Can this headunit handle navigation? or is that not an option? if it's not an option, how far up in the price range would you have to go to get that?
Old 11-29-2006, 11:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bradmb
well, the only problem i see with one of these is, upgrading your sound system is very much limited when you add an flip out deck. and a 400 dollar one doesnt seem to help that problem.
in what sense? if you mean adding more amps and speakers i figure its the same as a regular headunit
Old 11-30-2006, 10:42 AM
Teching In

I thought about getting one until I read this review from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cus...&s=electronics

Sure, just one review, but he does hit on a lot of points:

Pro's:
- First and foremost is the price. You will not find any unit with the features this unit has for this price range!

- Audio and Video quality: playback of DivX, XviD, MPEG's, and standard DVD's are crystal clear. No noticeable pixilation, fading, etc.
- Using the touch screen to navigate through DVD's is very user friendly.

- While not an iPod user yet, the ability to connect your iPod to the unit and have full control over it using the touch screen is a big plus. I actually caved in and bought an 80GB iPod Video. I haven't received it yet, but I am looking forward to getting it. I'm dumping my entire 40GB music collection onto the iPod along with all my episodes of Lost, Prison Break, Family Guy, etc onto one piece of hardware. The ability to fully the iPod using the touch screen is a big plus!

- Full set of audio and video outputs. You can connect this unit to your external amp, subs, etc.

- Full set of audio video inputs. You can plug in your video camera to review what you've recorded, Xbox, PlayStation, and anything else with a standard composite (RCA) yellow jack output.

Con's:
- Navigating a DVD full of MP3 is extremely tedious. Here's why... You get a full dump of EVERYTHING on your screen. You can't navigate by Album, Artist, Year, etc. So if I have a MP3 album of Anita Baker and an MP3 album of Usher I actually have to "click" the directory button over 50 times until I get to the artists with their name's being closer the end of the alphabet. You can also use the soft button on the screen to the next directory, but even then you have to press it over 50 times to get through your entire collection. I called Jensen and they confirmed that yes "you have to navigate through all the albums until you get to what you want.

- To make things worse you can not fast-forward or rewind MP3's. This was also confirmed by Jensen.

- I burned a DVD of all the current Prison Break episodes which were in DivX format. They played back beautifully, but here's the most irritating problem. As soon as you turn off your deck (i.e. turn of your car) the video will start playing over again from the beginning. You can skip over to the next video file on the disc, but again, after power-cycling your vehicle the deck will start over with the first file on the disc.

- As with the MP3's you can not fast-forward or rewind individual video files. This was confirmed by Jensen.

- No ability to change the look of what I call the operating system (OS). You can't change the wallpaper, color scheme, etc. What you see is what you get.

- Navigating through a DVD burned with hundreds if not thousands of MP3's is extremely slow. The OS definitely needs tweaking and enhancements, so I'm hoping that Jensen releases firmware updates in the future.

- Every time you turn your vehicle off and restart it, it takes up to 40 seconds before the track you were listening to resumes on a DVD-R. Navigating and resuming playback with a standard 700MB CD-R is faster when re-starting your vehicle.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by max5
why did they return them?? Can this headunit handle navigation? or is that not an option? if it's not an option, how far up in the price range would you have to go to get that?
People returned the units becuase hardware was broke (not saying thats Jensens fault, some people think aftermarket radios are invinicible), or it wouldnt function right after a bit. Go with a Panasonic or Pioneer.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:41 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cld069
Not dissing on anyone who has that model or anything, but working at Circuit City and selling those in dash units, Im not too impressed by them. Ive seen people buy one and have it back in not much longer getting it replaced. Theres been a few occasions where people have returned them within a month after they bought them. They are cool units and all, but Ive seen too many problems that has convinced me to steer clear of Jensen flipouts. Just my .02
Yeah, I heard all that from people on here as well before I bought my Jensen last year... I haven't had one problem with mine though.

I got one step up from the unit you posted, mine has the TV Tuner...

I paid $500 total for it...
Old 12-02-2006, 05:13 AM
TECH Resident

good luck, most of the jensens we install come back defective. The motors are notorious for going out. just an FYI, on black friday they were only 299$ at circuitcity. I would rather buy a 140$ eclipse or pioneer before i installed a 600$ jensen. You get what you pay for, mark my words. Here is an extra tip that Jensen or AUdiovox does not want you to know. The warranty through manufacturer is void if the warranty seal is broken. And in order to install the unit, you must slide off the mounting cage, which automaticaly tears through the warranty seal.....

OH, and the newer models (past few months) have this problem with sensing the parking brake wire. Somtimes you have to do a sequence to get them to turn on , parking brake on, off, on, off, stay off for a few sec, then on again.

One last rant, please , please check out the equipment at a local retailer before you purchase to see the differences amongst name brand units and Jensen (or audiovox, same thing). You will see what im talking about, the gears that pull the screen in and out are extremely rough and if you look at it closely, you will see that when you press the close button to hide the screen away, the screen kind of just DROPs flat, Then the motor pulls it in.
Old 12-02-2006, 05:17 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ultraz
good luck, most of the jensens we install come back defective. The motors are notorious for going out. just an FYI, on black friday they were only 299$ at circuitcity. I would rather buy a 140$ eclipse or pioneer before i installed a 600$ jensen. You get what you pay for, mark my words. Here is an extra tip that Jensen or AUdiovox does not want you to know. The warranty through manufacturer is void if the warranty seal is broken. And in order to install the unit, you must slide off the mounting cage, which automaticaly tears through the warranty seal.....

OH, and the newer models (past few months) have this problem with sensing the parking brake wire. Somtimes you have to do a sequence to get them to turn on , parking brake on, off, on, off, stay off for a few sec, then on again.

One last rant, please , please check out the equipment at a local retailer before you purchase to see the differences amongst name brand units and Jensen (or audiovox, same thing). You will see what im talking about, the gears that pull the screen in and out are extremely rough and if you look at it closely, you will see that when you press the close button to hide the screen away, the screen kind of just DROPs flat, Then the motor pulls it in.
What are you talking about??? I installed mine without breaking the seal, my screen doesn't DROP flat, and the parking break thing sounds like an installation problem not a hardware problem...

Anyways, I have one and I know of about three others locally (mainly because there's a factory outlet 20 minutes from here) all have had them for +1 years with NO problems at all...
Old 12-02-2006, 06:01 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DEMONBIRD
What are you talking about??? I installed mine without breaking the seal, my screen doesn't DROP flat, and the parking break thing sounds like an installation problem not a hardware problem...

Anyways, I have one and I know of about three others locally (mainly because there's a factory outlet 20 minutes from here) all have had them for +1 years with NO problems at all...

Look man, Im not questioning your unit , or the unit of a few of your friends. IMO, overall, Jensen is not a worthy brand to purchase from. If they were, they would not have to drop the prices of their units to 1/4 of that of other manufacturers. Im not saying that paying more is better, but good electronics have a median price and I have yet to see mobile video from audiovox or jensen that is up to par with other manufacturers. I will say that their Overhead units are not bad, but as far as radios go, there is problem after problem.

Just as an FYI, Ive personally installed roughly 15 Jensen DVD players in the past year, and can safely say that over 1/2 of them have come back due to internal problems, broken gears, or other hardware related issues. When compared to a compnay like Eclipse or Alpine, there is no question that they are built better and have alot more time into them.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:27 PM
TECH Regular

ok- anyone know if the older model pioneers, alpines, etc go for cheaper prices anywhere?
Old 12-02-2006, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if u want navigation get a navigation in dash, i tried to upgrade my pioneer and it wasnt worth it so i bought a new one paid out the *** but i love it
Old 12-02-2006, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

pioneer i think 6700 the one for $900 or so best buy last year might be cheaper now but anyways i loved that one but no navi

Quick Reply: Jensen In Dash LCD screens