Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Turn singals bulbs w/clear corners burning out!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 10:32 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn singals bulbs w/clear corners burning out!

I got some clear corners for my car, and they came with orange replacement bulbs.

I switched the bulbs, but the other day my right blinker/drl went out. So I took the bulbs out of the clear corners and the wiring harness was charred a little bit and the bulb wasnt all the way in. The other side was just a little bit burnt but not much.

Do you think they gave me the wrong bulbs? should i just go to autozone and get some more?

also whats the best way to disable the drl for a temporary fix. cause they wont overheat if their not on for long.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

i had the same problem... make sure there are no little peices of broken plastic in the socket....

here is how to disable drl's
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....21&postcount=6
this was in the sticky's BTW
Old 12-30-2006, 05:05 PM
Launching!

i have clear corners with clear bulbs...havent gotten pulled over yet :-)...but prior to changing the corners out, the passenger socket was roasted and burnt to a crisp
Old 12-30-2006, 10:57 PM
12 Second Club

alright today i got a screw driver and cleaned out the sockets cause their was some corrsion and stuff, then i used some dialetic greece. now they dont smoke anymore.

yeah i feel like and idot i was looking in the appearence stickes for it. hopefully this will do the trick.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem when I switched to clears. The main cause was that even when I got a really small amount of water in the clear housings somehow a drop of water would land on the bulb while it was lit and burn it up.

I ended up siliconing up the seams of the clear housings and disabled the DRL's, my sockets looked pretty nasty too so I cleaned them up and put new dielectric grease on them. So far I've gone 7 months without having to change a bulb since doing this.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:34 PM
12 Second Club

i left the amber running lights on for 5 min today and no smoke, i guess il just have to keep checking it.