Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Sub advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 02:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looking at your specs on the sub you posted i would go w/ a 1-channel amp (amp is going only to one sub) probably a 500w 1 channel amp (500/1) by all means dont believe its the exact numbers but a good place where i would look...
Old 01-17-2007, 03:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth Z
I don' t really know what amp I want to use. There is way too much technical **** for me to comprehend here. I' m not looking to compete in any sound competitions, but I do want the most out of my musical listening experience. As of right now, I just know that I want the stealth box with the Elemental Design subs, and I want to change out the stock 6½" subs for the Elemental Design ones, and power everything. I really don' t know what the **** I' m doing.
It's not that complicated, just don't buy the sub until you have an amp to power it. Amp first, sub second.
Nothing I'm recommending is for competition use, just good old everyday listening. If it sounds good enough to compete, then that's a bonus.

If you need good amps for little money and don't mind a refurbished unit direct from Rockford, then check out the Rockford T5002 from High Desert Audio. They are Rockford basically and have these for $220 each. They can do about 1000w each at 14.4 volts. So they're beefy. They also have fan cooling built in while the slightly smaller T3002 does not. You could get 2 of them and be set. One for the front mid/tweets and one for the sub. In this case you'd need the dual 4 ohm sub.

This would give you 220w x 2 for the front speakers and 1000w to the sub. The T3002's are like $179 refurbed and would provide about the same to the front and 800w to the sub. Don't let these big numbers scare you. If your alternator is only giving you 13v to the amps then the amps power drops some just like most all amps do. It's still going to be plenty. You won't need to upgrade these amps anytime soon.

Below are the actual power numbers and the percentage the amps are underrated.

Last edited by JasonWW; 01-17-2007 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the help. I have the money for the sub now, but I' ll save it for now, until I can get the amp too. I' ll be back after I get the amp, asking for more info.