Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

foglights not working after fixing turnsignal

Old 01-26-2007, 07:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default foglights not working after fixing turnsignal

My left turnsignal went out on me so i replaced the socket with an aftermarket one i got at Shucks. I spliced the wires together and i got the turn signal to work again but now my foglights don't work, i'm not exactly sure how those wires were to be spliced on my turn signal socket, there were 3 wires, A, B, G-i assume G was the ground wire but not exactly sure on the other 2, could crossing these wires really mess with the foglights? thanx for any insight
Old 01-26-2007, 08:44 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

The three wires are for parking lights, DRL/turn signals, and ground. As long as you got the ground right then the only problem with hooking up the other two backwards is that you would run the brighter filament as parking lights and the dimmer one as DRL/turn signal. It would look odd but it wouldn't cause any electrical problems.

The only common point between the TS/DRL/parking lights and the fog lights is the ground and it's just bolts on either side of the radiator support. Even if you wired the pigtails with the ground wrong it shouldn't prevent the fog lights from working.

Check first that the parking lights work. If not, perhaps you blew the fuse. Then check that the high beams aren't on - the fog lights won't work with the high beams on. After that I'd just try replacing the bulbs - they may have just picked this time to burn out.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

okay, im thinking maybe i blew the fuse because my parking lights weren't working either, i'll check it out tomorrow, its too cold and dark to mess with it now, thanx alot whitebird
Old 01-27-2007, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

alright, i checked the fuses and they're all fine, i know the bulbs aren't burnt out because they still light up when i use the keyless entry to unlock my car, turn signals work, hazards work, but parking lots and foglights still don't work, something else is different as well. when i have my headlamps up and i turn it to (P) they come down, normally they stay up till i turn them all they way off, what could i have done to do this?
Old 01-27-2007, 05:34 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

There are several possibilities but I would still suspect the TAIL LPS fuse. Did you test it or just look at it? Sometimes a fuse will look fine but still be blown. Either test it with a fuse tester or plug in a known good fuse to be sure.

Beyond that, it could be the headlight switch, the DRL module, or any of the wiring in between them. The headlights are retracting because the headlight door actuating module isn't getting any signal that the parking lights are still on. Again, this points to the fuse being the problem.

To test for something other than the fuse you will need a multimeter or test light then we can go through testing various points in the circuits to find where the power interruption occurs.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

whoops, ya you were right, i was checking the fog lamp fuses under the hood. I thought those fuses in the dash just controlled the interior functions, i looked at them earlier but couldnt find anything that i thought would have anything to do with DRL's or foglights, so i left them alone. Fuse was definitely blown--thanx alot man, if you ever come around Fort Lewis, look me up cuz i owe you a beer!

Search this Thread